The Ongoing Canada Trials Debate (Split From Originall)

michael_t

Steve I am just saying that as a new person to the sport that despite the fact that we have exchanged email, talked on the phone, and I did try to meet up with you while I was in BC (unfortunately the rest of the family only had limited time for trials)... It just seems whenever I post a question you take it as an opportunity to insult me and the WTC. I admit my frustration has got the better of me but just knowing that you are not able to speak o behalf of the CMA makes me feel much better... up to this point it seemed you kind of implied you knew way more than I did but you where not willing to share. knowing that you are simply not allowed to share your wealth of knowledge does go along way in explaining things.

I will be happy to share anything that I hear from the CMA for anybody that is interested... despite Andy thinking that most are not (and he is probably right) :).

Edited by michael_t

Fair enough. I do not think I have ever insulted you, but I am certain that all the of the information that you spread or are told by the so called "members" of the WTC, (no members,, not a registered entity) are extremely incorrect, and destructive. If for you its about free insurance, then I truly don't believe you are interested in the future of the sport. I do hope that in time as you gain more experience, you will better understand the scope, and the magnitude of what the TAC is doing and has been tasked to do. Its a huge undertaking, but one that needs to be done.Again and again I have said, our country has only ONE National sanctioning body for trials. Its in the best interest of the sport that we all work together to build a strong National body, as strong sport, and give our top riders the opportunity and the means to compete at a level they choose to, while at the same time help build strong clubs and provide the proper training for young riders.FYI I have always shared any information that I have with you, but unfortunately in feel you have been conditioned not to believe me due to the mis-information constantly circulated by a couple people.

Edited by steve fracy

Steve,

Maybe I am just overly sensitive but after 6 years of doing this you keep implying that I know nothing and am not able to comprehend what you have to say.

There are completely new people getting into the sport in our area and they may very well prefer it if we run our events as CMA sanctioned events. In addition it may be a selling feature to some of our sponsors to have CMA sanctioned events. As an event organizer and promoter I need to know how to sell the CMA to the riders and the sponsors. I have asked Marilynn but despite being the head of the CMA I am not sure she knows as much as you do when it comes to Trials. 6 years ago when I started all of this and before the TAC I asked the CMA about getting sanctioned and they told me I had to join as they where the only way we could insure events so kind of had me over a barrel... I admit that has left a bit of a bad taste as they really were not doing a lot for Trials at the time. You and the TAC have brought Trials to a new level at the CMA but I do think the rider community and sponsors still need to know what the cost are and what exactly that cost covers (if it does cover insurance I would like to see the policy) and what in addition is the CMA doing for trials and what level of support are they giving the TAC (at least a rough budget number)? This is about way more than free insurance it is about the CMA asking for 1 or 2 thousand dollars I think it is fair to ask where it is going. So please what exactly is the TAC doing and what is the TAC tasked with and do they have the resources from the CMA required to do it ?

I believe you put on CMA events last year so you must know what the costs where and what the CMA insurance policy covers. As the head of the TAC you must know what level of support the CMA is giving to the TAC. Maybe I am just sensitive but I do find that being told I do not yet deserve any answers to be insulting so please if you simply can't or don't want to answer just leave it at that.

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by michael_t

No worries Steve,

I heard back from the CMA and they have answered my questions that you seemed unwilling to (see the previous page)... the answer was "yes" the CMA does charge clubs in addition to the riders fees for both insurance and sanction fees. This all started in relation to what goes into rider fees but got so far off base we got kicked off the original thread.

The CMA also clarified that they are a bona fide not for profit corporation with corporate responsibilities and it that means there is a cost to have them here. It also costs them money to be affiliated with FIM.

I was not aware it was not-for-profit and had stated in the past that they are a for-profit - I am sorry about that, I'm surprised nobody corrected me.

Edited by michael_t

It is Not my place to answer questions about how the National sanctioning body operates. That is irresponsible if I do not know the answer therefore always correct to ask Head Office. My total focus and responsibility is the sport. You have been told by myself previously how things work in my Province. The two largest clubs here obtain their own insurance to cover all events they run. The model we are using right now, in doing our part to support trials and the CMA in Canada, is by holding Provincial championships. We are designating certain club events as Provincial Rounds. We obtain a sanction for those events which is very cheap, and the clubs keep up their CMA affiliation each year too, also very cheap. Riders who wish to contend the Championship need to purchase yearly competition licences.

As you have found out, and anyone knows, it costs money to do business. I believe our sport is worth it, and if everyone does a little bit to help out, it will go a long way. I am however shocked that you thought the CMA was for profit. Any registered club or association is required to reveal that.

Edited by steve fracy

Yeah I found it strange that the CMA did not mention their not-for-profit status on their "about" web page. The MCC makes a big deal about it on theirs. Thanks for the additional info on how things are run in BC it is very helpful. We might try to do something similar here.

This year our Provincial series is 4 events spread across BC in some of the best riding areas in the country. It gives good value now having 4 events, plus the Natoinal in Sask for everyone buying their competition licence. We will also being doing more things in the future to bring value to riders holding a licence but they are only in the planning stage at this point.

Thanks Steve,

This is going in a much more productive direction, it seems I was just asking you the wrong questions. Knowing what you can and cannot share has been very helpful. Marilynn has been very helpful as well.