The One Honda Have Never Won

jj65

Am I right in saying, the mighty Honda, have never won the SSDT and if so, why, for all the money they spend on motorcycle sport, have they not tried again and again, until they succeeded?

It's the most desirable trophy of all, as a manufacture, in the world of Trials and yet, Honda, or even Montesa, do not bother. As they brand the 4rt in Japan as a Honda RTL and obviously Montesa everywhere else, they could field two teams to enter the SSDT and would benefit from either Honda or Montesa winning, although surely Honda must really want a win, to join Yamaha on the list of winners on the trophy.

Might Mr Bou have a chance in the near future to add his name to the the winners list, there's not much else for him to win (except the Scott).

Edited by jj65

I think first of all people from UK overestimate the ''hollyness'' of the events for a bit. Not to downgrade the event at all, but WTC is priority for the business I quess.

I think Bou and Adam would win it, without a doubt when they participate.

• Like 1

James Dabill. 2007 winner TRW 300 4rt.

Toni Gorgot, vesty, Rathnell and Amos, all on Montesa's, but never a Honda and I think only Dibs win was on a Montesa whilst in the fully Honda owned period.

Bou would dominate but probably prefers spending time in warm, sunny Spain rather than cold, wet, miserable Scotland.

Not sure the SSDT means anything outside of the UK anyway shrug.gif

Doesn't mean much to Vertigo then!!!

I don't get it. Are they sponsoring the event or something?

2015, Dougie Lampkin........

I think you'll find a win means quite a lot to the owner of Vertigo and gives quite a bit of creditability to the brand.

Edited by jj65

I doubt whether there is one event that has more worldwide prestige than the SSDT, despite the comments above, but there is more to winning it than being an ace in the sections so Toni would by no means be guaranteed a win.

However it would appear from the UK sales charts of late that there is a growing band of purchasers who are less swayed by wins on a works one-off and intelligent enough to be impressed by the number of bored 4RT riders twiddling their thumbs during the morning work period at the SSDT whilst riders of other machines scurry about doing the necessary.

Perhaps a win is not seen as essential to sales?

• Like 1

I doubt whether there is one event that has more worldwide prestige than the SSDT, despite the comments above, but there is more to winning it than being an ace in the sections so Toni would by no means be guaranteed a win.

However it would appear from the UK sales charts of late that there is a growing band of purchasers who are less swayed by wins on a works one-off and intelligent enough to be impressed by the number of bored 4RT riders twiddling their thumbs during the morning work period at the SSDT whilst riders of other machines scurry about doing the necessary.

Hi Pete, I noticed on Sunday your right

leg is twice the size of your left.

I agree its a special, and tough event. Its more close to the lets say ''old trials''. Totally different and best in its own class. In other countries, for as far as I speak to people, its more like a myth, people heard about it, and understand its tough (and wet). Some wonder about going there and participate (and some do). However if you ask them who won, they wont know.

Maybe that is the beauty of the event, a bit mysterious (and did I already say wet?).

Edited by crazybond700

crazybond wrote: "I'm sure...they would win one or more times"

An important point to note about the SSDT, as several notable riders can testify, is that no-one can be sure of a win, however many attempts they may make.

Edited by cleanorbust