Unknown Akront Wheels

gunn

I bought some wheels a while back, advertised as 4rt wheels, but now I've come to fit them they don't fit, the brake placement is wrong!

I'm going to sell them on but would like to find out their origin.

The rims are made by Akront

Front: 21" - 1.6-36-TR-I193-E-Dot

Rear 18"-2.15-NERVI-TR-794-E-Dot

They may be off an older Montesa but in principle could be off another bike. 

The front brake disk is a floating design similar to the 4RT though!

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Hi Cornish,

I didn't think pictures would help much but here goes

As to disc comment. The disks are much thicker than std 4rt discs - approximately 4mm thick. The face the disk attaches to on the rear is approximately 9mm further from the spoke holes on the older wheels compared to the 4rt - the fronts Ive not compared yet.

cheers for any help

Gunn

thanks for the info

What was the difference between the 314r and 315r - could the previous owner have had an early 315r and thought this would fit a 4RT?

The later 315r wheels were the same as the 4rt weren't they - were the early 315r ones the same as a 314r?

thanks for the info

What was the difference between the 314r and 315r - could the previous owner have had an early 315r and thought this would fit a 4RT?

The later 315r wheels were the same as the 4rt weren't they - were the early 315r ones the same as a 314r?

The 314R was the first "official" HRC Montesa, only produced for a couple of years.  The 315R was the outgrowth of that program, and had much success.

"Later" 315R wheels were similar to the 4RT wheels, but the hubs were different. 

I can't speak for early 315Rs, but my '99 315R wheel assemblies are different from what you have posted pics of.

My '99 315R -

IMG_6684_zpsqlmiaxnu.jpg

My '95 314R -

IMG_6685_zpsbzej7k4f.jpg

If the PO advertised yours as "4RT wheels", then he needs to have his ass kicked.  They may fit on a 4RT, but they were never used on 'em.   

• Like 1

If they were cheap enough and you want them as a practice set then they can be modified.

Front wheel needs a 315 early disc buying - I had a NG one, This gives you the right thickness. A spacer is then required to on the spindle - the inner ring from a front wheel bearing works fine. 

The rear will need the hub machining down and if the disc is too thick then a 315 disc may do the job (4rt disc only have 4 holes)