Matchless G3C Front Forks

gsm

I have a Matchless G3C with 1 1/8" front forks. I have recently fitted new rear shocks, which has improved the rear end, but I would like to do something with the front end.

The front forks seem very soft and have a couple of inches of "sag" in them when the bikes sits without rider.

Are springs available that will give me more preload so that the bike sits up more?

Are there any other tweaks I can do to improve the standard front fork performance?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

They are obviously past there use by date, don't mess about, get some new made. I had some for my Jampots & never looked back. The AJS & Matchless Owners Club are very good, failing that send a sample to a spring manufacturer, can't remember who did mine.

You will need the free spring length, I'll have a look in my parts book, might be in there, what year is it?

Dick. 

• Like 1

Hi GSM,

I previously have adopted spen's suggestion, and used two old top fork bushes as spacers (on the top of the fork springs). Alternatively you can us the two rebound springs from the bottom of the forks.  It might not be as good a result as bespoke springs, made but it's likely to cheaper and easier, and works ok on mine.

• Like 1