Falcon Shock Rebuild Photos

mattlloyd50

If your considering stripping down a falcon shock, it might be benificial to consider, that they are assembled with an inert gas under pressure. If all the pressure is not discharged and you were able to remove the internal circlip, you could have big problems and could be dangerous, the piston assembly could fly out under pressure. Inert gas is used to limit 'pump up' under use, and if recharged with compressed air, the rod displacement during compression will heat and expand the internal compressed air, the only 'saving grace' usually trials bikes aren't worked too hard, might be worth considering, if it were a time and observation trial maybe.

Hope you didnt mind me posting the pics. If so let me know.

Matt

Not at all. I though it was bit funny though because I looked at the newspaper page in one of the photos and thought "that looks familiar", then I saw my vice and realised it was me!

• Like 1

That's some interesting reading material. Not sure what's going on at the butt of that screw driver.

I wondered that too after looking at the photo again so I had to go up to the shed and look at it properly. I've been using that screwdriver for about 10 years and had not noticed that ball on the end. It is pretty weird

post-325-0-95273400-1462440863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not weird David, it was an idea used by many tool maker at the time to allow the head of the screw driver to slip more easily in the palm of the end when you put pressure on it. You grab the '' grooved '' body for grip and use the ball in in the palm.

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I serviced a pair of my falcons last week for my Ossa gripper and was very happy with the way they worked at the Kia twinshock champ round.

I used 90cc of 5wt oil and 55psi  (i have one extra hole drilled in the rebound damper side) and the springs are 50lbs weight on the third groove from the valve end.

• Like 1