Mk1 Cota 349 Airbox

monty349

Hi

Can anyone out there tell me how much clearance there should be between the side of the airbox and the exhaust downpipe on an early 349?

Mine appears to have little to none and has started to melt the plastic? 

I believe the exhaust to be stock Montesa as I have compared this to my spare which is definitely original, the bracket and frame tube appear to be true, the only thing I have done when recommissioning the bike was replace the original silencer with a WES alloy type but this joins the down pipe nearer to the shock absorber mounting bracket.

Likewise if anyone could tell me the clearance of the exhaust  from the tank seat unit, obviously I do not want to adjust things to a point where this may melt!

Does anyone know of an airbox /filter mod? , I used to have a Twinair double sponge filter back in the day on my Bultaco that was attached directly to the carb.improved breathing no end.

All in at loss here folks

It's a pretty close fit all right and is the same problem as on 348s. Mine is set with the exhaust very close to the seat tank unit, to maximise the gap to the airbox.

I think the inside of the seat tank surface may have originally come with piece of reflective insulation.

I have seen Cota 348s and 349s fitted with Cota 247 airboxes (a completely different design)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

As I do not know anyone with a 349 (starting to understand why) I have no reference bike, but I think I have got the answer,

When refitting the air box I have made up x3 rubber spacers fit them on the locating bolt between the top of the air box and the underside of the x3 frame air box mounting brackets.

This slight lowering of the air box has given it a small clearance from the exhaust which after a bit of running seems ok.

• Like 2