Pre 65 In Scotland Today ?

trialsrfun

Looks like it will be as much good as the much  talked about """"""""""""""legacy"""""""""""""" at the Olympics a few years ago then , I shouldn't be sorry for being a realist but other than bringing a few to the trial ( maybe ??)  what did it do for the sport ? 

• Like 1

At the very least he proved that he has got sufficient inner drive to keep at it to the bitter end - and not everybody, knowing they were likely to be very much 'in the spotlight' would have the guts to persevere and have the record of coming last, having dropped 39 marks more than the nearest other rider.........

I could name several well-known old works riders who would quietly retire if they dropped a few silly marks, rather than appear in the results off the top spot.........

There is of course a potentially apt old adage - you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

• Like 2

Hi Guy's

What gets me about Guy Martin, is like Deryk says his persistence to carry a Job through.

That trial must be gruelling and hard with all of those rocks and this "Our Guy",

Broke nearly every bone in his body last year. Well Quote:"well theres fractures in your spine, your sternums broken , this is broke that is broke, asking about his hand  with bones stuck up.

A Metacarpal was broken. and that had to be pinned.

Back injuries were the worst  with T4 to T9 vertebrae  broken  so locked with metal rod as was the hand. ribs also had gone.  and this was last August 2015.

And you know what he has done so far this year, and what he has still to do.

"Our Guy" wants more than a medal, and should be the Spirit for us all to follow how hard the going.

Well Done.

Best Regards Charlie ~Oo>

• Like 3

I have a LOT of respect for Guy Martin for finishing the event. I cant have been easy for him as its a lot harder than you think it is. Hard enough just not to incur time penalties never mind low scores. How people manage to only drop 3 astounds me they are gods.

Where i do have a me no understandy moment is when people say he got a wild card entry because he will lift the profile of the event, more publicity, blah blah blah. Look the event is already oversubscribed so apart from possibly selling a few more programmes which will obviously be of interest to the organising club i fail to see what benefit Guy Martin will have brung to the Scottish 2 day. As for the sport as a whole which does need all the help it can get what does a motor cycling superstar that is almost a household name communicate to the great unwashed of the country when he can master the TT course set wall of death records etc but comes last in a Pre 65 event ? Doesnt it possible say "i wouldnt bother trying this because its way too difficult for a superstar like Guy Martin to do so you wont stand a cat in hells chance".

I hope i'm wrong but i fail to see what positive publicity has come out of Guy Martins 2016 Scottish 2 day ride. Which is a shame because i really am a fan of his and was so hoping he had a top 50 finish at the very least. 

• Like 2

Close. It was actually decided on age of rider with Dan being the oldest.

Thanks Andy for clarifying. Well thats how all tie breaks should be decided in my book well done the organising committee. Incidentally Peak Classic has been doing this for 2 years now i didnt know it was a Scottish rule but i salute their good judgement.

I have a LOT of respect for Guy Martin for finishing the event. I cant have been easy for him as its a lot harder than you think it is. Hard enough just not to incur time penalties never mind low scores. How people manage to only drop 3 astounds me they are gods.

Where i do have a me no understandy moment is when people say he got a wild card entry because he will lift the profile of the event, more publicity, blah blah blah. Look the event is already oversubscribed so apart from possibly selling a few more programmes which will obviously be of interest to the organising club i fail to see what benefit Guy Martin will have brung to the Scottish 2 day. As for the sport as a whole which does need all the help it can get what does a motor cycling superstar that is almost a household name communicate to the great unwashed of the country when he can master the TT course set wall of death records etc but comes last in a Pre 65 event ? Doesnt it possible say "i wouldnt bother trying this because its way too difficult for a superstar like Guy Martin to do so you wont stand a cat in hells chance".

I hope i'm wrong but i fail to see what positive publicity has come out of Guy Martins 2016 Scottish 2 day ride. Which is a shame because i really am a fan of his and was so hoping he had a top 50 finish at the very least. 

Well OTF  I could have penned those words myself to the letter. 

Pity Guy couldn't make it to the presentation ..  No , I still can't find those rose tinted specs.  

Where i do have a me no understandy moment is when people say he got a wild card entry because he will lift the profile of the event, more

The way i read it is he was only asked to be guest of honour, i think that meant opening the trial not riding it, then he asked to ride it, what would you say to him if it was your event.

Im not sure why people were expecting national Tv to turn up.

The way i read it is he was only asked to be guest of honour, i think that meant opening the trial not riding it, then he asked to ride it, what would you say to him if it was your event.

Im not sure why people were expecting national Tv to turn up.

Because he gets involved in things that can make good viewing. 

If as mentioned he had a camera crew then it would boost the sport , classic trials outside of Scottish pre 65 needs as much of a boost as possible. No new young blood coming into the sport etc etc etc ...

In all fairness there was probably no time to get a crew to do much, there is no 2nd take .

• Like 1

If as mentioned he had a camera crew then it would boost the sport , classic trials outside of Scottish pre 65 needs as much of a boost as possible. No new young blood coming into the sport etc etc etc ...

Yer unfortunately classic trials is killing itself.

Now you can pick up a good mid 2000yr modern bike up for under a grand,if i was starting out this is where i would go.     

Yer unfortunately classic trials is killing itself.

Now you can pick up a good mid 2000yr modern bike up for under a grand,if i was starting out this is where i would go.

If it's true that classic trialing is killing itself, the few grand required to buy a bike surely can't be the reason. Its the lack of anyone taking notice of the (inadequate and unregulated) rules that has allowed people to build and ride bikes that cost more than they need to. This then means that someone riding a proper old machine is disadvantaged.

Anyway I don't really see that there is a massive problem, entries are reasonable considering you can can ride virtually every weekend at least somewhere and the premier event of the year is over subscribed threefold.