Ajs 18Cs Project

swooshdave

IMG_7896_zpsmoehdhfy.jpg

Several years ago I bought this Cagiva but never could get it running right. The previous owner mentioned he wouldn't mind getting it back from me.

IMG_7856_zpsubax0qhn.jpg
So at the recent vintage bike show I see he has this AJS so I offer to swap the bikes. He gets the Cagiva and I end up with ANOTHER project. Fortunately for both of us he agrees.

IMG_7871_zpsosqqbeyl.jpg
IMG_7902_zps9ehp77s3.jpg
IMG_7901_zps1itv1za2.jpg
IMG_7904_zpsjrgwct0k.jpg
IMG_7903_zpssh9w5p7z.jpg
IMG_7899_zpsfdz0xrqn.jpg
IMG_7900_zpsbww21hvd.jpg
This last box is fully of freshly chromed parts. Unfortunately this includes the oil tank, which I think should be black.

I haven't had a chance to fully inventory the parts. Then again I barely know what it should look like when it's complete!

I went out today and looked at the parts more carefully, here are some more pics:

IMG_8977_zpskyng5dz8.jpg
IMG_8974_zps4kcqzgtb.jpg
IMG_8979_zps19rj7wij.jpg
IMG_8976_zpsnmqillmn.jpg
IMG_8973_zpsmy6dk2po.jpg
I believe this is the frame number?

I'd like to build a trials bike out of it. Probably sell the chrome bits and get an alloy tank and oil tank.
Edited by swooshdave
  • Like 2

if you do build a trialer out of the bits keep and use the lucas sr1 mag probably the best and most reliable mag lucas ever made i now have 5 bikes fitted with themall set to fixed timing ,all start 1st time hot or cold never had even a missfire when soaked in mud and water

• Like 1

Hey Swooshdave,

I like it! If you get a chance check out Jody Heintzmans 350 AJS for inspiration. Also the VME Vashon Island guys are big on the Matchless/ AJS stuff. I have a G80cs that's giving me fits. Its hard to resist the big bikes from o'l Blighty.

Dave Armstrong

Hi Swooshdave,

You certainly found a very large bag of bits!  The frame looks like a standard Jampot version, the AJS & Matchless Owners Club (UK) could probably confirm the year of manufacture from the 7125 frame number, but the motor is a 1954 standard road model.

There are comprehensive photographs, virtually year by year, of all the AJS and Matchless competition models in the History of the AMC Competition Models featured in the back issues of our digital magazine, ORRe, and if you take out an annual subscription you get instant free access to all the back issues.

I am including a couple of images for you, the 1958 AJS and the 1955 Matchless (with the Jampot rear suspension as your bike has) just as an appetiser for you!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-16931900-1462000225_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-09159600-1462000246_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hey Swooshdave,

I like it! If you get a chance check out Jody Heintzmans 350 AJS for inspiration. Also the VME Vashon Island guys are big on the Matchless/ AJS stuff. I have a G80cs that's giving me fits. Its hard to resist the big bikes from o'l Blighty.

Dave Armstrong

I didn't see you at Crooked River, did you not make it down?

Is this Jody's bike?

IMG_0019_zpsg6gzkscq.jpg

• Like 3

if you do build a trialer out of the bits keep and use the lucas sr1 mag probably the best and most reliable mag lucas ever made i now have 5 bikes fitted with themall set to fixed timing ,all start 1st time hot or cold never had even a missfire when soaked in mud and water

Have you put electronic ignitions in any of them?

Yep, thats Jody's AJS 350cc. I didn't drive down because my own g80cs has a few Gremlins that need to be sorted. I should have just brought out my Enfield but that's a long way to go and only run one event. 6 hours one way from Redmond WA. Man I am catching **** from the VME member for not going!

Yep, thats Jody's AJS 350cc. I didn't drive down because my own g80cs has a few Gremlins that need to be sorted. I should have just brought out my Enfield but that's a long way to go and only run one event. 6 hours one way from Redmond WA. Man I am catching **** from the VME member for not going!

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/60122-2016-ahmra-crooked-river-trials/?p=425762

Well, it was beautiful weather and aside from section 8 a fun trials.

You need to have a Sherpa T tucked away in a corner for when your English bikes gives you fits. ;-)

Dave

my Enfield heavyweight trials isn't the problem, it my G80cs scrambler for Sundays races that is screwed up. The big bike needs a new carb and the head steady is stripped out and its blowing bubbles at the base gasket.

Dave

Dave

my Enfield heavyweight trials isn't the problem, it my G80cs scrambler for Sundays races that is screwed up. The big bike needs a new carb and the head steady is stripped out and its blowing bubbles at the base gasket.

Dave

Doesn't sound like problems, it sounds like opportunities! Slap a new Concetric on, Timesert the head steady hole and put a breather on it to stop the bubbles.

Next?

Hi Dave,

I started with a similar collection of parts a few years ago, with the same idea of putting together a trials bike.   

post-17291-0-50962600-1462520988_thumb.jpg

I've limited garage time so its taken a while to put her together, but I managed to get her out in a couple of local trials last year.  You shouldn't have any problems getting parts; Steve at AMC Classic Spares has been a great, as has the AJS & Matchless owners club. Mick Ash supplied wide ratio gears, the kick-start is from Terry Weedy,  the seat from Sammy Miller Products, and the rear brake drum from Progressive Classic Products,

She is still a work in progress, over the winter I swapped out the road frame, oil tank, and engine plates with a kit from Andy Bamford, and there are plans for continued development.  

post-17291-0-03096300-1462521003_thumb.jpg

There are very few classics never mind heavy-wieghts being ridden in my area, which means she's about 50 years older than the rest of the entry at local club trials (I ride the sportsman route).  She does get noticed and generate a fair bit of conversation, but maybe there's added entertainment value in watching the idiot trying to ride it.

I'd highly recommend that you go for it.  I really enjoy riding a "proper" classic (no comments about the modern shocks, handlebars, and levers please), and have no interest in swapping to a modern bike.  If I were to offer a word of caution, be aware that costs can mount up, especially if you want to "modernise" to current pre65 spec with fiddle forks, Whitton hubs,  etc, but if you do the build in easy stages you can add the upgrades when time and money allow.

• Like 4

That is so awesome!

I have no idea what you mean about costs getting out of hand...  :blush:

I'll also be able to add the "idiot on board" entertainment value!

Where can I find out more about your bike? What year, model, mag, forks, wheels, etc.