My 74 Ty250 Shuts Off...

pacificnw1

I'm out of ideas...

Recently restored TY 250 runs and rides great until I run it fast - 3/4 throttle for a minute or two. Then it acts like it's out of fuel and shuts off. A minute later the thing fires and idles like nothing happened!

So - new fuel delivery system complete - everything. Clark fuel tank and petcock, fuel lines, Micunni Carb, Boysen reeds and spacer - SAME thing!

So - electrical. In resto I cleaned the mag case and replaced the harness from the Ignition side to the new coil, wire, cap and plug. I'm a competent solderer and again, it works great unlil it gets hot. I run 45:1 and have the oil pump blocked and line ports plugged.

I have two guesses - crank seals, condenser. I don't really think they fit. Shorted stator windings at temp maybe? I was careful but I was in there.

Ideas welcome - why's and follow ups welcome - I'm stuck and the machine is great - except it occasionally shut off. Didn't Volvo's used to do that? Ha!

I'd strip the carb' again and make sure there isn't a tiny bit of debris/rubber/rust/paint getting in to the main jet and then dropping back out when the fuel starts washing it out.

Fuel cap isn't venting properly, try a run where you know it stops either without the cap or it not fully seated

Stator coil problems normally take at least 15 minutes to get a spark back after they get hot

Fuel cap isn't venting properly, try a run where you know it stops either without the cap or it not fully seated

Stator coil problems normally take at least 15 minutes to get a spark back after they get hot

I initially thought that, but I re-read the post and saw he'd been using a Clark remote reservoir and petcock.......

"Experience is the great teacher" they say.

The condenser was in stock here in town (!) and I soldered it in on Thursday and it wouldn't start.

The point gap was the first thing I noticed/guessed but the adjusting screw was 44 years old and wouldn't budge.

Back together with a new screw for the points, the condenser and a host of other needed improvements and maintenance tasks that should keep her going another 44 years.

It started right up and I rode it for more than two hours without the sudden death nonsense.

Thanks to the kindness of strangers I am once again a happy vintage trials rookie at risk.

Trials Central is skookum.

(b40rt, Laird387, Tony283 and Searay175 specifically)

• Like 3