2016 4Rt Oils To Use

tman427

Being in the USA we can not get the ELF HTX 740 tranny fluid. What other brands are compatible?

Same deal with the motor oil, can't get the Repsol 4T in the 10w-30 weight....any thoughts on what you chaps use that is compatible?

Many thanks, loving the new ride.

Tom

Call Dennis at "Overland Trail Cycle" http://www.overlandtrail.biz/.  I believe he can get the ELF HTX 740.  be ready for a large out of pocket however as it isn't cheep.  $$$   :o

On the other side note...  

I was looking into it some time ago on one of the other threads (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/58290-4rt-engine-oil-help/) and found myself that the "GRO Extreme" is the next closest however can't find it in the US and next up is the "Silkolene Light" witch is likely to be my first attempt once I run out of the ELF I have on hand.  There has been some good results using "Dexron 6 ATF" by some, though I would rather find a different oil myself, it works.  

Viscosity comparison of ELF, GRO and Silkolene Light...

Gear Oil           | @40C      | @100C

ELF HTX740     | 21.4        | 7

GRO Extreme   | 20           | 5.2

Silkolene Light  | 100-180  | 15

Edited by jonnyc21

Call Dennis at "Overland Trail Cycle" http://www.overlandtrail.biz/.  I believe he can get the ELF HTX 740.  be ready for a large out of pocket however as it isn't cheep.  $$$   :o

On the other side note...  

I was looking into it some time ago on one of the other threads (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/58290-4rt-engine-oil-help/) and found myself that the "GRO Extreme" is the next closest however can't find it in the US and next up is the "Silkolene Light" witch is likely to be my first attempt once I run out of the ELF I have on hand.  There has been some good results using "Dexron 6 ATF" by some, though I would rather find a different oil myself, it works.  

Viscosity comparison of ELF, GRO and Silkolene Light...

Gear Oil           | @40C      | @100C

ELF HTX740     | 21.4        | 7

GRO Extreme   | 20           | 5.2

Silkolene Light  | 100-180  | 15

Thanks

Valvoline Dexron VI ATF full synthetic:  29.5 @40C    6.0 @100C   and around $8 per quart.

You may want to try a Honda Dealer for the ELF HTX-740. Even if they don't know what it is, you can give them the Honda P.N. 08C35-HTX-740 and they may be able to get it.

Could get the Repsol full synthetic 10W-30 in the US for a while. I bought some and still have enough for several changes. But all the US sources I found are in closeout mode with Repsol oils.

I've used Silkolene full synthetic 10W-40 in the past. Seemed to work OK.

• Like 1

Valvoline Dexron VI ATF full synthetic:  29.5 @40C    6.0 @100C   and around $8 per quart.

You may want to try a Honda Dealer for the ELF HTX-740. Even if they don't know what it is, you can give them the Honda P.N. 08C35-HTX-740 and they may be able to get it.

Could get the Repsol full synthetic 10W-30 in the US for a while. I bought some and still have enough for several changes. But all the US sources I found are in closeout mode with Repsol oils.

I've used Silkolene full synthetic 10W-40 in the past. Seemed to work OK.

Sportsawyer is right. Your local Honda can get the ELF for you. Honda part number 08C35-HTX-740. My local dealer has several cases in stock and brings it to each event. One mistake is changing the ELF too soon. It is a high quality oil that will last a long time. 

For the engine I've been using PRO-Honda GN4 10-30W and I change it regularly.   Silkolene 10W-40 is great also.

We've had 4rt's for several years and had really great success with Dumonde Tech LWHS (Low Weight High Sheer) Racing Transmission Oil.  It's a synthetic 75W oil that feels very similar in the Montesa clutch to HTX 740.  It's fairly easy to find in the States.  Here is the link: http://dumondetech.com/portfolio/lwhs-transmission-oil/

Fuji Kirk!  I have heard good things about Dumonde Tech.

My best advise is pick an oil and stay with it. Swapping oils can affect your clutch plates and cause them to swell. And please do not think you can mix up some magic oil "cocktail". This will = disaster.

Also bear in mind that Elf HTX 740 will not cure all ills. If a clutch is old and abused or has had other oils in it you need to replace it.

Fuji Kirk!  I have heard good things about Dumonde Tech.

My best advise is pick an oil and stay with it. Swapping oils can affect your clutch plates and cause them to swell. And please do not think you can mix up some magic oil "cocktail". This will = disaster.

Also bear in mind that Elf HTX 740 will not cure all ills. If a clutch is old and abused or has had other oils in it you need to replace it.

Where I agree that swapping oils can affect clutch plates and cause them to swell or if you use the wrong oil(s) or mix up a magic cocktail it would likely spell disaster, I will in small part agree and disagree with the comment if the clutch has had other oils in it you need to replace it.

Where an abused clutch will need to be replaced, other oils used may or may not need that.  I, as well as other friends of mine have had bikes, including 4RT's, that had other oils in them and did not need to replace the clutch.  The way we did it was to pick the oil we wanted to use, best if its a known good oil, and then run that at least 2 changes with at least 5 to maybe 15 hours use between each change, if the clutch is still not doing well after the 2nd or 3rd change then you likely have damaged plates and would be best to replace.  

So far, all 4 bikes in question have been great after the 2nd or 3rd oil change without needing a new clutch and are still going strong 3 to 5 years later depending on the bike. (With this in mind if you are in question or in any way hesitant about doing this, just change the clutch, its the sure fire way to know its good!)

Note: This is my experience and as they say your mileage may very, I will not claim this will work for everyone, so you can feel free to try or not at your own discretion.   :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21

Sportsawyer is right. Your local Honda can get the ELF for you. Honda part number 08C35-HTX-740. My local dealer has several cases in stock and brings it to each event. One mistake is changing the ELF too soon. It is a high quality oil that will last a long time. 

For the engine I've been using PRO-Honda GN4 10-30W and I change it regularly.   Silkolene 10W-40 is great also.

Could you tell me your dealer?  I'll just order from them.

Thanks.

I have been using bel ray 75w gear saver in the trans and bel ray 10W/30 thumper in the engine, both seem good, I have a 2016 4RT260

Heard good things about the Bel-Ray Gearsaver (not the hypoid version) in the 80w...there is also a Thumper racing version of the gear oil.

How do you like the 2016 4RT..... I just bought one and love the machine.

tman 427 the 10W/30 thumper is a synthetic blend, designed for 4 strokes with separate crankcase and gearbox, has a beefed up adative package,higher zinc and phos, love the bike had a beta 300 factory, 4RT is much nicer to ride, build quality is really good.