Is Dougie Lampkin The Most 'complete' Trials Rider ?

johnnyboxer

More than just terrain difference involved I think as to why Doug would be odds on to beat Bou or Raga in Scotland. He has completely mastered the other aspects necessary to win, eg time management, pacing himself mentally over the whole course of each day knowing what is to come, overcoming emergencies such as bike problems or punctures single handedly, quickly and without panic, coping with any weather conditions in a way which doesn't affect his concentration, dealing with horrible moor crossings, managing the expectation on him to win, etc etc. Although Bou may find the sections easy enough, winning is about more than that.   

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 5

"heffergm wrote:

Erm... Jarvis has won. More than once (or twice, or even thrice...)

Four times actually.

Yeah, I know. But I would like to see them both together. I think its a really different discipline. Its like a MX world champion, to try and win the dakar, or a enduro. They are probably good at it, but there are probably speciallist who are better. Although I think that Raga and especcially Bou are that good trials riders, give them some training time for an event like the SSDT and they are potential winners (but not garanteed).

Edited by crazybond700

Cabestany rode in 2010 and finished 9th. Helluva difference between Scotland and what the Spaniards are used to riding.

True Andy, they may practice day after day but to cope with 6 days of intense competition with moors riding between groups of sections and without their minders would put greater pressures on the Top World Championship riders, they would find it hard to make the top ten, let alone Ten titles.

Last year in Rhode Island Dougie parked his pretty creation down in the crowd whilst Dibbs rode. After he got on his bike and looked up at LA rush hour of people. I saw his face and stood up to say "Make way!!! Royalty comming through!!!" seas parted and he gave me a thanks mate. First place favorite moment with him.

Second place was 2006 on his montesa in tenn. drops into a creek and the anouncer said "Awww he stalled!!!" the crowd gave an overall awwww in response. Dougie heard the whole thing and opened up that repsol in response. That crowd lit up and of course he cleaned that section.

Just top notch rider. I wish that the whole elite class would let him have his 100th... 99th is soooo damn close....

--Biff

• Like 2

Last year in Rhode Island Dougie parked his pretty creation down in the crowd whilst Dibbs rode. After he got on his bike and looked up at LA rush hour of people. I saw his face and stood up to say "Make way!!! Royalty comming through!!!" seas parted and he gave me a thanks mate. First place favorite moment with him.

Second place was 2006 on his montesa in tenn. drops into a creek and the anouncer said "Awww he stalled!!!" the crowd gave an overall awwww in response. Dougie heard the whole thing and opened up that repsol in response. That crowd lit up and of course he cleaned that section.

Just top notch rider. I wish that the whole elite class would let him have his 100th... 99th is soooo damn close....

--Biff

We all probably would love to see Dougie have that 100th too, but in true form, a hard fought win, not handed to him!

• Like 1

So, how do we think Dougie would do in a World Round today?

I know he beat Dabill in the SSDT but the sections are nothing like a World Round. However, with no stop rules surely that would favour Dougie?

Would love to see him ride World Rounds again.

I watched dougie lampkin at close quarters this year and I have to say he is a better rider than I thought he was, ridiculous as that sounds given his credentials. As has been said there is more than riding technique involved and I believe he showed a mental strength and extraordinary capacity to deal with a significant burden - as much as any top tennis star or similar sporting icon from the whole spectrum of high level competition. Not only was he trying to prove the brand but the pressure to win for the sake of his fathers memory must have been crushing.

He won that trial the hard way and not by inheriting a host of favourable circumstances as sometimes can be the case. Because of his start position and severity of the terrain, both Monday and Saturday lead him to sections that were not scrubbed or established in anyway by his forerunners and he definitely had it all to do. I also think think it is appropriate to mention James Dabill's radio interview on the Saturday morning when he was asked about his respect for dougie. I thought his response was a credit to him and the sport.

On the subject of respect I also think we should not be so quick to dismiss other great champions like Toni Bou, he is a formidable sportsman. I saw him dominate a world round based in identical terrain in 2010 at Nevis Range and do not agree with some of the previous comments that he would struggle to make it into the top five in the ssdt. If Bou had a personal agenda to succeed in this event I believe he would because just like Lampkin he would find what he needed in order to meet his objective. When I look at Bou I see the same qualities as I see in Lampkin.

Final point related to dougies all round abilities, bike design. I watched Vertogo's coming into sections all week sounding and performing as good as the day they left the parc ferme. Maintenance appeared easy and the bikes took all the ssdt could throw at them. So well done dougie, fully deserving of the plaudits, and when history looks at this great event in years to come truly they will recognise a motorcycling "Monarch of the Glen"!

Edited by the dabster
  • Like 4

True Andy, they may practice day after day but to cope with 6 days of intense competition with moors riding between groups of sections and without their minders would put greater pressures on the Top World Championship riders, they would find it hard to make the top ten, let alone Ten titles.

Are you saying Dougie didnt have any minders?

So, how do we think Dougie would do in a World Round today?

I know he beat Dabill in the SSDT but the sections are nothing like a World Round. However, with no stop rules surely that would favour Dougie?

Would love to see him ride World Rounds again.

Dougie rode stop rules for most of his career? (wtc isnt proper no stop rules anyway?)

He is the most complete rider ever, but scotland is very different to anything else as is the Scott, as for world rounds a year out for anyone and they struggle to get back, let alone 5 years.

I know that Doug never got to 100 but I did have a very brief conversation with him about it once and its more of a deal to others than it is to him. Its not a significant milestone as it is in say cricket.

The flip side is he was in with a real chance for a win his last year at Beta in the Isola 2000 event (09?) but a mechanic let the hydraulic fluid out of the clutch and he lost time and the chance was gone.

Edited by nigel dabster

Dougie rode stop rules for most of his career? (wtc isnt proper no stop rules anyway?)

What I meant was that no stop is not as physically demanding for an older rider than stop allowed (trust me I know) so he'd be at less of a disadvantage to the younger WTC riders.

This is a pointless thread, Doug is respected by many including myself, comparing Doug of today to the likes of Toni, Adam, and Cabes is just madness,miles apart, how many entries does the SSDT have? And would all these entries be able to ride a world round or indoor? There is no back wheel hopping as Doug cannot do this, it's a traditional trial which suits Dougs style, the most successful trials rider ever is Bou, and he still has more to give, many have said, I don't think the SSDT is attractive to top level riders.