Mar Crankcase Halves Gasket - Glue Or Not?

t20racerman

Hi all

My Clymer manual for the Ossa MAR says to use a new gasket on the crankcase halves, grease the surfaces and to NOT use any gasket glue. How well does this seal? What are your experiences? The gasket set I got from 'In Motion' seems very high quality so I can see why, and the surfaces are pretty good too. However, with a long history of working on leaking Brit bikes (and old Jap classics) I thought I'd ask....

Had to shim up the crank and gearbox too as the new gasket is about .25mm thicker than the old one. Fiddly, but it has to be done.

Edited by t20racerman

you said you had to shim it because of the thicker gasket, which is quite right. just make sure all gears select cleanly . adding any goo, once it has dried your shimming may have gone awry.

I need to add about 0.2- 0.3mm so I'll add them all to the LH side which should keep everything pretty much the same as it was. I will check it selects all the gears though as you suggest, and have now decided to NOT use gasket glue.