Shock Swap

elusivemite

Been riding 9months or so this time around and progressed a lot further than.my first forays. Riding an 05 sherco 125 that is mechanically sound and very good condition for its age however the suspension isn't what it could be. Im able to aquire a set of shocks from a gasgas contact pro (year unknown) 38mm and from what I can gather they should be a straight swap (axle?) can anyone confirm.

Rear shock I will be looking to replace with an ohlins if I can find one for a reasonable price. Unless anyone has a cheaper suggestion.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by elusivemite

The 250cc plus Gas Gas models went to 40mm Marzocchi forks in 2005, so unless you are talking about Tech forks from the last couple of years, which I think are 39mm, I don't think the GG forks will be any better than the sherco ones you have ?

As long as stanchions are ok just change the oil, and seals if they leak, this will make quite a difference to performance.

Ohlins are very good, see if you can find a used one, they are serviceable  

• Like 1

a contact is a non-pro bike, just like the editions. Until 2004 the forks where 38mm with the clamps with a small gap in it if you look from the side.

I would not know if they are better. But most old forks are not like the were when they were new. So rebuilding and adjusting to your weight might be worth the effort. (new springs  and bushings are not that explansive)

Offroad action (Jitsie) does TRP shocks.

Edited by crazybond700

Morning Guys. Thanks for the tip re TRP il be keeping my eyes out for one or the other reconditioned. Baldilocks I've got no idea what forks were on previous gasgas I'm relatively new and only owned and ridden a 315 and my sherco. I would like to fit some shocks with some adjustment as my 315 used to have and was hoping these would do it.

This was what I was looking at. Ebay no 231944730215