Tyre Choice ? Alpina Type 85 - 1972

jesjra

Hello

I have a part restored Alpina, the wheels are with Central Wheel Components for rebuilding and it's time to make a choice on tyres.

Previous posts will confirm I am a 'newbie' to motorcycle renovation/restoration! Previous projects have been limited to classic '80s Italian bicycles!

My part restored Alpina came with a chunky pair of new Maxxis Cross IT Pro tyres, they look great! Quoted as  street legal on the Maxxis website.

The frame/engine number is B - 8503578

I think the bike was an export to USA and has ended up back in the UK.

It has the high mount 'moto cross' style front mudguard/fender.

Can anyone help with advice on tyres, I want to keep this project as close to original as possible.

Any advice /comments/suggestions welcome, thanks.

Regards

Jeremy

I also have a partly restored Alpina. (Other projects keep getting in the way!) Mine is a later model than yours being a model 166 from 1976. When purchased it came with a pair of motocross style knobblies not unlike the factory photo link already posted.

My bike is being restored to ride long distance trials and also a bit of green laneing.

I have a Frontera that is currently fitted with FIM legal Enduro tyres. These can cause damage to green lanes and also are best described as interesting on wet paved roads as I suspect the amount of rubber in actual contact is minimal. also wear rather rapid on the road.

I am not looking for ultimate Trials grip and also want the tyres to have a reasonable road use life so do not want any of the soft compounds and also want a tyre that is road legal. I have gone for a set of good old fashioned Pirelli MT43 Trials tyres. In my opinion also look better. They were also standard fit on the Sherpa's back in the day.

Stuart

• Like 1

Thank you both for your comments, the MT43's make sense but I think I'll go with some Maxxis Maxx Cross IT Pro's until I scare myself in the wet on the road! They'll look great with the Moto X style front mudguard!