Really Easy Start

lotus54

I've made a new addition to my OSSA (2104 Explorer)

The AAA Rechargeable batt (inside the factory Easystart) gave me some issues on a ride, so I hooked up LiPo battery and it worked great.

But I didn't want to leave it in all the time, so I installed a KTM style start button.

Wired it so the LiPo battery could apply power to the Diagnostics port.

This runs the fuel pump for a moment and 'wakes up' the ECU.

The bike starts first kick cold or hot.

The LiPo battery is quite small.

I'll get some pics etc. working on getting more connectors, but just used the 'dummy' plug with some appropriate pins.

Mark

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 4

Yes, 3 cell LiPo

http://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-1300mAh-20C-Lipo-Pack/dp/B0072AEKY8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

And starter button

http://www.amazon.com/Technologies-12-0215-Style-Electric-Switch/dp/B007GLUJRU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I'll make up a wiring diagram, but super easy.

I put the battery under the seat, but certainly could be up by the handlebars or something

I left the factory Easystart etc. installed. This is in addition.

Also would,be useful on huge trail if you had some issue, hit the button and can tell if the fuel pump is running.

Edited by lotus54

Only problem is lipos can explode or swell up if the battery is drained below a certain voltage l raced modle cars for years using lipos and they must be balance charge and in a fire proof bag .the battery must never be aloud to go flat,modle cars have a low voltage cut off to prevent the battery from being damaged or worst catching fire ,they produce much more power than a normal battery

Just keep an eye on the lipo if it swells bin it,you can buy the same battery in a protective case they are more money but does stop the battery being damaged if a cell is puntured it will start to smoke and catch fire.hope it all goes well keep us posted

Rode all day yesterday and a bit the day before.

The 'button' works great and super easy starting.

Bike is covered in mud right now, I'll try to get it cleaned up and take some pics.

I did manage to loose the left side plastic piece, the one that says 'OSSA' on it and is bolted on, not the cliped on one.

Darn it! Probably can't get one either. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...