Gasgas Factory Or Sherco Factory?

azaz

Thinking about buying either a  new gasgas factory 300 or a sherco factory 300,

anybody had experience of both? which would you recommend?

Reliability,performance, maintenance ect...

cheers!

Haven't been on a 300 but between the Gas Gas's I have been on (125,250,280) and the Shecro I took a spin on (250). I like the transmission on the Shecro better.

Even owning the Gas Gas 125 (wife's bike) I have just never been fond of the 4th gear to 5th gear shift on the Gas gas.

That being said, if you can take a ride on both or at least something close in year and size (250 or bigger) I would think that would tell you miles more than my opinion.

Best of luck!

Unless you're talking about a leftover 2015 GasGas factory that you found, there is no new GG factory at the moment. GG has been busy going out of business, coming back to life, and skipping a model year in the process. I assume at some point they'll release a 2017 factory model, but probably late this year (complete guess on my part).

As for Sherco vs GG:

- the sherco is blue and yellow. You may find this horrendous or the best thing since sliced bread, so let your aesthetic preference be your guide (I mention it because I think it's hideous)

- as the above poster mentions, the GG transmission is great from 1-4, but 4-5 is like shifting a two speed differential... be careful or it feels like it might explode. I suspect it's more durable than it sounds, but it's not a pleasant mechanical feeling. 

- I think the GG has the best clutch by a long shot. This makes up for the transmission to an extent.

- I think the GG engine is better engineered, which is to say, they didn't do something stupid like use a ridiculously small bolt for the oil drain plug that blind threads into the case (sorry, I'm still bitter).

Anyway, ride them both and decide for yourself. Everyone's experience is different. I do find for myself though that I just feel a lot more comfortable on the GG than I ever did on the Sherco. If GG would put a nice 5 speed in it, and maybe beef up the steering stem it would be perfect... oh, wait, that's a TRS...

Edited by heffergm

I don't like 5 speed gearboxes and I just feel comfortable on a GasGas so that's what I have. 1st to 4th are all very close together on the GasGas so you're unlikely to ever be in the wrong gear in any section.

Tried a Sherco and it was actually pretty similar to the GasGas. You need to try them.

• Like 1

1st to 4th are all very close together on the GasGas so you're unlikely to ever be in the wrong gear in any section.

This is certainly true... I made the mistake of starting a section (twice!) in 4th gear. It started with a pretty technical hill climb in the dry (i.e. normal first gear stuff). I got away with it the first time, and only dabbed once the second time. My 250 is also pretty ballsy, which helped. Although all this could have been alleviated by my not being an idiot...

This is certainly true... I made the mistake of starting a section (twice!) in 4th gear. It started with a pretty technical hill climb in the dry (i.e. normal first gear stuff). I got away with it the first time, and only dabbed once the second time. My 250 is also pretty ballsy, which helped. Although all this could have been alleviated by my not being an idiot...

I (almost) never use first.

Thinking about buying either a  new gasgas factory 300 or a sherco factory 300,

anybody had experience of both? which would you recommend?

Reliability,performance, maintenance ect...

cheers!

Give A G Bikes a call he has shercos and gassers in stock.

If you have to ask the question, your looking for the wrong type of bike. You need to be a very competent rider for these models especially the sherco factory as it's an animal with a unique long stroke engine from the std models.

• Like 1