Trs Clutch Effort

heffergm

I think we also have to consider how a clutch is used today, back in the Bultaco era it was used to engage drive at the beginning of the section and then not used again until you needed to stop !

Just look at any photo taken in the seventies of any of the professional riders and you probably will not see a finger on the clutch lever, today of course the exact opposite is the case so the clutch has become an important part.

I run a modern NEB speedway clutch with reduced springs in my pre 65 bike and it is as light as any modern one just because the sections are so tight these days you have to ride 'modern style' !

I rode a new 300 ten days ago and there was nothing hard about the clutch pull. And I severely damaged my clutch finger two months ago. The day I rode the TRS was the first time I had been back on a bike since my injury. The TRS is probably the best new bike that I have ridden. (I have yet to ride the Vertigo) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lineaway said:

I rode a new 300 ten days ago and there was nothing hard about the clutch pull. And I severely damaged my clutch finger two months ago. The day I rode the TRS was the first time I had been back on a bike since my injury. The TRS is probably the best new bike that I have ridden. (I have yet to ride the Vertigo) 

Have you ridden the Gas Gas gp? The new Scorpa and factory Sherco? The rr has a good clutch action you tried that?

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Have you ridden the Gas Gas gp? The new Scorpa and factory Sherco? The rr has a good clutch action you tried that?

I have ridden a 2017 Gasser, not the GP. Last weekend I rode the Sherco with the new clutch which was good for a Sherco, but I`ll leave it at that. The new factory is not here yet, but I have never been a Sherco fan.  And I have ridden last years RR, but never understood peoples fascination with Honda. We have 8 4RT`s at work and the clutches are just awful. By the way I commented the clutch was not hard, but I did not take the poor guys bike out and thrash it hard as it being as new. 

My tuppence the Ossa's got one of these new clutchy things and frankly it's feel and action is average.

The biting point varies slightly as it gets hot and not particularly precise.

I've ridden plenty Ossas and they the clutches all felt different and none were as good as mine.

I don't know what the advantages of this new system are it just seems like another "improvement" the average rider could well do without.

Edited by breagh

If you're talking about the 'new thing' being a diaphragm clutch, the advantage is much lower lever effort with the same ability to keep the clutch from slipping under heavy load compared with a conventional clutch design.

The 'problem' is that every manufacturer has a slightly different design implementation, and the results vary. My 2p is that the GG is still the best clutch I've ridden. Given they've been producing it the longest this isn't a huge surprise. TRS seems to have sorted theirs. The Vertigo I'm not really sure about... I've tried a few different bikes, and the lever efforts were all wildly different, which is odd. The new Sherco/Scorpa sounds like a bit of a kludge from what I've read about it so far. They've been forced to make some weird gearing selections to avoid having to redesign the whole motor, and it also sounds like the clutch pull is still too heavy, but I haven't ridden one to give a first hand opinion on.

16 hours ago, cornishtwinspring said:

The clutch on the 17 sherco & scorpa is definitely heavier than the 16s, the 17 trs rr  is lighter (not tried a trs one), None of them are as light as the monts though!!.

My point is that as pastietwin says the rr is light but lineaway says it isnt and one ossa is very much better than the others yet a gas gas is the best (heffgem).

With a diapragm clutch it needs to be the right pack height if not then it wont be that good regardless of make......

So to say this clutch is best just probably means its correctly adjusted?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heffergm said:

That's like saying 'Every car with a manual transmission should shift them same'. They obviously don't. Why? Because every manufacturer builds their own to different specs. It's the same thing.

I see your point but im sticking by the fact that as oni nou says, and many have found out problems are usually not down to manufacture, more often bad set up.

Any manufacturers clutch set up correctly will work well enough, be light as well, and there is significantly more difference in badly set up than make to make.

On 22/02/2017 at 1:45 PM, b40rt said:

It's not working properly if you can't pull it, or have I missed the point ?

Ross it's probably about 50% as heavy as my SWM was after I took two of the six springs out of the swm. With only four springs fitted the swm did slip in 5th and 6th. The TRS is almost the same weight as my Gas Gas and lighter than a Beta in my experience. My TRS is a 280 RR,  doesn't slip doesn't drag.