Twin Spark And Swapping Over To Cdi Ignition

jesjra

Hi

I have a 250 cc Alpina frame/engine B - 8503578

I understand it was an export to the USA, but is now in the UK, I am finishing off another's part completed restoration project.

It has the twin spark plugs

Currently wired with regular points and single HT lead/spark plug cap.

I'm looking at swapping over to CDI ignition, firstly any comments recommendations on suppliers?

I'm presuming that if I do swap over, I can use a single spark plug kit, however, I see some suppliers have the kits for twin spark set ups, is this something I could run on my Alpina or would it be a lot of extra faffing for little extra benefit?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

Regards

Jeremy

The twin spark plugs were used on the open class Pursangs and the Astros and maybe the Fronteras. They had a B9ES in the front hole and a B8ES in the rear hole. I think that is the only bikes that idea was on. On your Alpina I`d say the extra plug hole was for a decompressor which was a hot item to have in that era. Just get a single plug system for yours as the twin plugs on an Alpina would not do anything anyway. It also gives you a spare plug already installed if yours ever dies while trail riding. Graham. Ps I have been using the Bultaco UK CDI for a couple of years now and it`s brilliant.

Edited by bullylover
  • Like 4

Jeremy, Welcome!

In regard to your question, as Graham says the unhooked plug is just filling a hole.

I don't know what your plans are, but if you have fire with the points ignition it will be fine in my mind to stay there.

If you add an automotive condenser under the tank, then it will be quite reliable. ( orig. condenser not so good )

Have a nice day

Larry

• Like 3