Random Hard Starting.

cheesepreetza

2011 txt pro 250 can be extremely hard to start. Randomly. Sometimes cold or warm will start first/second kick, other times its seriously 30 kicks, my technique is good as i have no issues starting other models/brands.

is this life with a gasser? i feel like i'm wearing the heck out of the kickstart mechanism. Any suggestions?

It's definitely not normal. My 250 pro (2014) always starts second kick (cold, choke if required based on outside temp, or hot). 'Always' in this case means over the course of ~100 hours or so.

I'd change the plug, pull the carb and clean it, then say a prayer (in spanish). Failing that, or if you've already done so, I'm short on ideas.

Edited by heffergm

The piston has to be at top dead center and you must first engage the kick start gears. Then a strong fast kick. You cannot start with just kicking it. You my lay the bike over till gas comes out the carb to prime it. I used to have my son start mine until I got it right. Riding trials 44 years and the kid has to start the bike.LOL

• Like 1

Hi, I spent months living with this problem, tried different carbs ect, you name it, got the starting procedure down pat. I tracked the problem down to my right leg, and possibly my age. Standing on a milk crate made things easier but fitting a flywheel weight solved the problem, easy peezy now.

Cheers Taff

• Like 1

I have the same right leg and age problem as Taffe and Linaway, with my son's 2011 TXT Pro 300. Yesterday, after cleaning some crap out of the pilot jet, I kicked it at least 20 to 25 times and after working up a good sweat I just gave up, knowing that something else had to be wrong. My son came over, gave it one good swift kick and it was running. Ah, to be young again.

Apparently my technique is good, because I've never had an issue.

As mentioned, get the piston to TDC... it'll be easy to find because the kicker will be easy to push until it gets there. Then foot on the kicker to set it, stand up and a nice sharp kick along with most of your body weight.

I basically figured this out because I simply don't have the leg strength to start the bike with my left foot still on the ground in most cases. And because I had a Beta 300 that had monstrous compression. The 250 is so much easier to start.

Back too the OP, my rule is to always change the plug at the first signs of hard starting.

Then you get into the gasser ergo issues, well, that is why I could never ride one. Between the shifter and the kicker, I am out! Although a lot of folks make it look easy and they are great performing bikes.

I have always wondered if the gasser engine pattern bikes such as the Jgas, TRS and Vertigo share these traits?

Change plug, clean carb.

try a different technique.  I went from a Sherco to a GasGas and the starting technique is definitely different.

For the Old BAGG (Old Bad Ass GasGass) I have her either on a bike stand or leaned against a tree or other suitable holding device (truck, friend etc.)

Stand on the pegs (both feet)

place foot on kicker and gently push down until feeling resistance.  (gears engaged)

swift, smooth kick downward and vroom vroom .

After replacing piston and rings she starts up 1st or 2nd kick now.  cold or warm.

before that when cold took many kicks and when warm would require the choke to be on.

good luck, hope you get it sorted and have more energy to ride instead of kicking the bike over.

Big Gassers can be difficult for some riders. I think it is the fault of the kickstart internal cog design, which is no doubt innovative and weight saving but a right pain for many riders. 

The Ossa is just the same and may have been designed by the same guy (Xiu?).

Its that big kick/nothing happening that is annoying.

When I bought my 300 Pro I was told by the importers quotes 'you know they are hard to start.' Very true, although I did keep it for several years.

It is pity because they ride so well. However most of the other big engined trials bikes start far far more easily in my opinion.

2011 txt pro 250 can be extremely hard to start. Randomly. Sometimes cold or warm will start first/second kick, other times its seriously 30 kicks, my technique is good as i have no issues starting other models/brands.

is this life with a gasser? i feel like i'm wearing the heck out of the kickstart mechanism. Any suggestions?

What carb? Clean carb and set float level and new plug as all stated above.