Snail Cams

strengthcoach

Hey guys- On your GG if you have the snail cams with the little tabs on them, are the tabs pointed in to the bike or pointed toward the outside? Seems like outside makes more sense to adjust with your hands but my bud swears his came from the factory pointed in. Thanks.

Edited by strengthcoach

I bought my '14 used. I just pulled the rear wheel to mount new tires. My left side chain tensioner cam tab was facing out and my right side chain tensioner car was pointed in. There is a raised portion on the side of the cam that if I remember correctly was positioned towards the wheel. Because the cams are identical Thr only way the raised portion on the side can face the wheel on both sides is to have one tab pointed in and one pointed out. But again I bought my bike used to it's possible someone prior to me just put one of them in the wrong way.

Doc

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think it matters which direction they are facing.

I and a friend both have 2003 GasGas 300's and our snail cams face opposite directions.  both work

• Like 1

If it's a later model bike, the chain side faces out, the brake side faces in, as mentioned a few times above. 

At a minimum, the chain side one cannot face in, otherwise it would hit the sprocket. The brake side one you could get to face out, but you'd quickly realize it was in the wrong way because it wouldn't be set the same was as the other side.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...