Identifying Ossa Mar

honestthomas

Woody, Aye I get your drift, I'd just rather have a conversation with one person though, I find I understand things better.

The reason I swapped the stanchions over was so the cable ran in a more natural way? so I was trying this until it told me otherwise.

Hadn't heard of the reason you mentioned for swapping before? But I agree there's hardly any force driving it backwards so it's not really a fair comparison.

If that is the case it might be more the way the shoes have worn biased one way? Do they have a so called 'leading shoe'?

I also noticed the drain plug is now above the spindle the other day but it's a two min job swapping back to pump out the oil. As long as that's the only issue?

I'm relatively new to bikes, come from an automotive background rather than bikes so still learning the do's and don't's.

There is another reason said to be the reason that single leading shoe brakes work better one direction than the other. If you think of the mechanics/physics of it, the inner lobe of the actuating cam pushes that shoe out further to the hub/brake surface than the outer lobe does (because the inner lobe is closer to the pivot point of the shoes). So if that shoe acted upon by the inner lobe is the leading shoe the brake is thought to work better than if it is the other way round.

Switching which side of the bike the brakeplate is on also changes which shoe is the leading shoe (if the actuator & cable set-up on the brakeplate remains the same when you switch) so you get a more favourable outcome on one side compared to the other.... at least in theory.

On the MAR the more favourable set-up is the way you now have it with brakeplate on left.

Edited by jc2
  • Like 1