Back Firing Sherco

dwb5151

Hi I am wondering would you's have any idea what is wrong with my 2011 sherco 290. When i am out riding and when i stop for a break the bike is extremly hard to start. When trying to start the bike it back fires once or twice. I changed the spark plug but it still does it. I am kicking it correctly but it just seems very difficult to start after riding.

Many thanks any replies would be appreciated.

This has been reported as one of the early symptoms of a stator going. Usually the trigger coil goes bad causing the timing to shift. Another possibility is your flywheel key has sheared causing your timing to be off. I've seen this on Beta's but I believe the Shercos share some very similar electrical components.

This has been reported as one of the early symptoms of a stator going. Usually the trigger coil goes bad causing the timing to shift. Another possibility is your flywheel key has sheared causing your timing to be off. I've seen this on Beta's but I believe the Shercos share some very similar electrical components.

I agree with what Dan suggested. I think that year still ran the Leonelli ignition and Splatshop usually keeps a rebuilt stator on hand for exchange.

If you are not limp booting it and it is hard to start that is what I would check, although all you can really check is the flywheel woodruff key, then you are down to the stator and no real way to test it properly on the bench.