4.0 X 19 Tyre On Royal Enfield Bullet

Prototype

Hi Guys 

I will be converting slowly royal enfield bullet road model to trials bike . 

I know in trials bike world 18 inch rear wheel is almost standard. I am thinking of putting 4.0 x 19 Trials tyre on my Royal enfield bullet. as they are availble from vintagetyres.

advantage i see i dont need to change RIM/spokes and tyre price is reasonable as well. 

currently i dont have plans for any completetion.

what are the drawbacks of using 4.0 x 19 tyre . 

> any problem in riding if using 19 Inch type

> do i need to make any changes to swinging arm

> any restriction from clubs to not allow 19 rear wheel 

> any other ideas 

Please advise

Regards

When Dunlop stopped producing the 4.00 x 19 Trials Universal, which was standard fit on all the British pre-unit bikes, if my memory serves me right in the mid-1990s, we first tried another similar tread patterned tyre which was a Speedway tyre, like Stan Wellback described, hard sidewalls and next to no real grip.  That was the stage that we swopped to the 4.00 x 18 Trials Universal, which was close to the same diameter as the original 19 inch, and was universal fit on most of the two-stroke trials, such as Greeves, as well as the other current British bikes, such as C15T.

The image in the early posting looks like a Speedway tyre to me, so I would get the rear wheel spoked into an 18 inch rim and fit a modern trials tyre, that way you'll have a fighting chance if you ever get on to the rough.

• Like 2

Thanks for your valuable inputs appreciated ..

One last question .. how is 4.0 x 18 michelin x11 or xlite grip on wet rainy roads . My office is 2 km away i would like to use my bike regardless of weather . :)

Regards

Edited by bsa4life

The sticky type of tyres like the Michelins you mention are a bit dodgy on the road, especially on a heavier bike. I once put on on my B40 WD, it was fine for the first few miles but as soon as it got warm it would wander all over at the rear. The Pirelli MT43 is ok on the road but not as grippy for trials.

• Like 1

i wouldnt want to ride an modern trials tyre on a commute.... its a compettion tyre designed with one purpose and commuting wasnt remotely on the agenda equally a '50s trial bike was designed so that it specifically differed from a 1950's ride to work bike..1950s ride to work journeys were significantly different to todays commute.. i think if you want a 195s trials bike you need to spend 300 quid on a scooter for work.. one bike cant do both in 2016

• Like 1

I use mine on my commute! Well occasionally when it's not raining and I can be bothered to get my gear on. The Pirelli is fine at 50-60 mph and is suprisingly good on cornering. I've seen them being used in trials so they can't be that bad for that either.

• Like 1

@totalshell 

Thanks for your feedback. i know what im looking is best of both worlds. i just want to use bike at its max. when i feel like going off road go for it and then back on road. I dont have any trailer and my 1999 yaris hardly pull itself.  having Van is not affordable. :)

@Japes1275

Thanks for your feedback. Pirelli MT43 seems to be good option. 

by the way i am planning to put two sets of footrest on the bike , one for road use. and other one bit back for trials use.  sorry these are my own ideas . :) .

Regards

Edited by bsa4life