Hello Newbie Here :) Advice Needed

speshal

yes it is a clean Engine same as my 340 thats been rebuilt i did have the 1 in the photo vapor blasted then i had to polish the cases myself turned out nice. i have the earlyer 198 ignition case on this 198A it will be red and silver ith the Alloy bash plate the frame is also a 198A i have put the bigger Airbox on it.

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1

It ran OK but there was one problem in that it came fitted with a side-car (not sure if it was home made or not) and I wanted to ride my bike solo, so I removed the sidecar, after a few rides I'd notice that it wanted to pull to one side even when attempting to go in a straight line, a quick strip down revealed that the frame had been bent to allow for the sidecar.

Ed

With the extra brackets and rear loop bit I wondered if the first frame on speshal s bike has been used as a sidecar setup? Also interesting box section swing arm

yes it is a clean Engine same as my 340 thats been rebuilt i did have the 1 in the photo vapor blasted then i had to polish the cases myself turned out nice. i have the earlyer 198 ignition case on this 198A it will be red and silver ith the Alloy bash plate the frame is also a 198A i have put the bigger Airbox on it.

I looked up vapour blasting and lo and behold there is a chap not 3 miles away that does it  :thumbup:

:D

• Like 1

Boo, it looks like my frame swap fell through, but no worries, I guess it gives me time to sort the engine out first  :D

P.s anyone got a 199-A frame hiding in their shed they no longer need  :rotfl:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again :D

I was just wondering if anyone could help me identify this frame, it has no numbers on it unfortunately?

I'm guessing.... it's a 198 or 199 but some confirmation would be very handy.

Thanks.

Ed

The silver frame is a ...... ;)

post-22741-0-35252000-1470072280_thumb.jpg

Possibly a 183 from 76/77

I don't think its 159 75/76, if I recall correctly that had round holes in the slump plate and not the elongated slots similiar to the one's in your photo.

It doesn't look like a 199/198, as it doesn't have the brackets on the frame to house the gromets to locate the side panels. Thats not to say they have been removed at some stage as the difference between the 159/183/199 frames is minimal. With the main difference in the bikes been how the air box and side panels were attached.

Would you have a photo of the companion swinging arm?

Edited by model80
  • Like 1

I don't think its 159 75/76, if I recall correctly that had round holes in the slump plate and not the elongated slots similiar to the one's in your photo.

It doesn't look like a 199/198, as it doesn't have the brackets on the frame to house the gromets to locate the side panels. Thats not to say they have been removed at some stage as the difference between the 159/183/199 frames is minimal. With the main difference in the bikes been how the air box and side panels were attached.

That's correct

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is no picture of the swingarm :(

That's correct

Thanks guys, that's great information, I was trying a pictorial visual side by side comparison of a 199 frame. I guess the frame design department had a long Spanish lunch between 1970 and 1981 ;)

• Like 1

I guess the frame design department had a long Spanish lunch between 1970 and 1981 ;)

You're very harsh, it was from 1972, just after they finished the Model 93 :)

Though in fairness it wasn't until 1983 with the arrival of the Yamaha TY 250, that we saw a commerically available radical frame re-design in trials. All of the European manufactures of the period were quite conservative and conventional in what they had commercially available to us mere mortals.

Also bear in mind that Yamaha were the fore runners in offering a commercially available monoshock system in the MX world since 1976. Some of the other Japanese manufactures didn't catch up (bother) until 1981. When Suzuki produced it's "Full Floater" system and Honda the "Pro-Link" set-up and as they say, "the rest is history".

Edited by model80
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, great info, I'm considering chucking my 199A engine in it if I can't find anything more suitable, I have a few irons in the fire atm but trying to find the right frame and swingarm is rapidly becoming a ball-ache  :wall:

Of course I found exactly what I want (199-A frame and swingarm) about 15 miles down the road and he has an alloy tank with it but trying to get a price out of him is like trying to get blood out of a stone.  :lol:

Failing that I shall make the world's most Frankenstein Bultaco you've ever seen  :lol:

• Like 1