Budget Trials Build

andrep

Hi everybody

So a short intro about the build, I´ve been into motorcycle trials since I first got to ride a GasGas TXT300 at a motorcycle fair. 
I was hooked but at first it felt pretty hopless, because at that time it wasn´t really a thing in Estonia and the only second hand bikes were still almost new and there was like 2 in the market all together. 

I didn´t have that much money so I thought how hard could it be to start from scratch. 
This was 2009 and found an engine from UK (thanks ebay) the bloke was nice enough to send it to Estonia, and well... it was from a 85´ Beta TR32. 
At that time I really didn´t thing about spares and stuff like that, because, again, there weren´t that many engine on sale, not to mention I was in another countrey all together.

The next find was a fram from a 90´ Beta Zero, again, just because it was cheap and the seller was willing to send it over here :)

I had no idea what I was getting myself into but this was a start atleast, now the next thing was wheels and tyres, they came off of a Honda CR250 and I was out looking for a swingarm and forks.

After this a took a picture of a txt300 and with some photoshop skills i figured out the what the fork and swingarm lengths should be and well... ended up with a Suzuki GN125 fork :D so the geometry isn´t definetly right but it´s better then nothing. Only had to change the center hub for the tripletrees to fit the zero frame and at this point also changed the bearings. 
Now the swingarm also needed some trimming but soon enough it was between the frame, also made a very stiff spring for the back :) and next job was to fit the engine.

I needed to cut some material of the back supports for the engine but since I didn´t have the right tools at the time I damaged both sides of the engine. It wasn´t too, it did fit though (in the last picture).
As I was taking the engine apart to get it fixed I had to go to the army and well... when I was finally back home didn´t really find time for it and this is how I left it sitting there.
Now, 7 years later, I´m finally at a point where I just need to finish the build and really hyped about it. So I thoght I´d share it with you aswell, to get some pointers and know-how and I helps to get some professional opinions about this. 
It will be a budget build as it was set out to be, so sorry up front for some terrible ideas and parts  ;) 

Andre

post-22747-0-54836300-1467320766_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-18130600-1467320771_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-50283000-1467321056_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I found a place that sells motorcycle parts so now things a getting a bit more interesting and mixed. 
So let´s start from brakes, the front will be from a Eagle scooter and the rear is off of a KTM exc. 
Don´t really know how hard it will be to fit them but I´ll definetly have them fitted. 
Also a clutch leaver with the cable from a Suzuki GSX-F 600 and a rear shock from an Aerox, hopefully it woun´t be too soft but the weight of an aerox is 97kg but there also the leverage factor but we´ll see. 
Got a Renthal handlebar aswell.
Since I´m building it at a friends place I really am bound to the times that suit both of us but I´ll soon get a change to go and try everything on, so far ... just the parts :)

post-22747-0-70013400-1467387900_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-03134300-1467387906_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi again, finally got a change to visit the garage and well :) and the parts weren´t that bad, biggest problems with the brakes - they´re meant for the other sides :D
But I´ll get there, the back brake is upside-down, which makes it more vulnerable from the enviroment but I don´t think I´ll get that extreme with this bike.
Had to grind the frame for back master cylinder do fit but nothing too seriuos.

Rear shock was just a clip-on, so not that much to talk about that but it did feel really stiff, so might want to try out a trials bike over here to see what it should feel like.

The handlebar needs some heat and a little bending but everything else worked out okay and I have all the important stuff on there now!

The back support mount needs a two spacers and the guideline on the swingarm needs to be widened, so also pretty easy. There will be some hustle with fitting the leaver for back brake and the front brakeline is a bit too long but will leave it like that.

I was worried about the engine thou, don´t have a coil for it but will a regular 6V work or do I have to get a specific motoplat ignition coil?

post-22747-0-71855500-1467998672_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-22700200-1467998681_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-47306200-1467998686_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-98395300-1467998701_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-32423100-1467998708_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Respect Andre.  This is quite a project you have started.  Good luck.

Thanks, been really busy with work lately but I´ll soon try to get back to the garage and get the spacers for the back wheel and attach the footpegs. Then it´s a matter of getting the brakes to work so I could get on to the engine.

if I remember right my Beta Techno was 12 volt,  I would think the Zero was 12 volt as well, nothing special about the Motoplat coil , one off a 90's era KTM should work  , ( probably any 12 V coil would produce a spark for a test )

Keep up the progress

if I remember right my Beta Techno was 12 volt,  I would think the Zero was 12 volt as well, nothing special about the Motoplat coil , one off a 90's era KTM should work  , ( probably any 12 V coil would produce a spark for a test )

Keep up the progress

The engine is from a TR32, so this was still 6V BUT it did come with a CDI, so I´m not really sure how it works.

If I looke at the manual, the wiring diagram doesn´t have anything else in there, so straight from the rotor to the coil.

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Try to keep focussed on your goal. Dont make the bike more expensive than a ''good'' trials bike should cost. Its a hole where a lot of home builders fall in ;)

Thanks for the support and the whole idea has been to go as low as possbile, but since I started it so long ago and I had already scraped the idea at one point it´s money that I would have lost anyway. Still, everything is going pretty smooth and I basicly have everything I need and it´s still under 500€ so all good :)

If it's CDI ignition then a pitbike/monkeybike one should be fine and it'll cost less than £5 new.

I´m thinking of trying something generic, but it still bothers me that the guy selling me the engine sent a CDI wiht it...

101658_CDIMotoplat.jpg

That´s what it looks like.

Edited by andrep

With a CDI system I don't think it matters if the rest of the electrics are 6v or 12v as the CDI raises the voltage when charging the capacitor before releasing it to the coil.

Some CDIs are powered by a regulated 12v or 6v source, others run direct from stator coils.

I don't know enough to guarantee it'll work but personally I'd try a cheap pit bike one. I have one but it would probably cost as much to post it to you as if would for you to buy one one from ebay.

With a CDI system I don't think it matters if the rest of the electrics are 6v or 12v as the CDI raises the voltage when charging the capacitor before releasing it to the coil.

Some CDIs are powered by a regulated 12v or 6v source, others run direct from stator coils.

I don't know enough to guarantee it'll work but personally I'd try a cheap pit bike one. I have one but it would probably cost as much to post it to you as if would for you to buy one one from ebay.

Yeah, no worries, I´ll definetly find something from over here and give it a go once I´m at that stage, still need to build an outlet and find a muffler.

Today got to spend a little time in the garage. Got the footpegs mounted and the back brake leaver as well, but soon noticed I might have a bit of a problem with the chain clearing everything. So now it seems I need to attatch the right peg differently and get a plate for the leaver, this has to be welded but then it should be okay with this part and hopefully have the back spacers sorted by then. 

post-22747-0-30208400-1469126534_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-76525900-1469126539_thumb.jpg

post-22747-0-59045200-1469126544_thumb.jpg

For my brake lever I ended up having to use a steel one mounted to the inside of the frame , steel so I could cut, weld, heat and bend it into shape , is it possible to mount on the inside? 

It is and it actually should be! (from factory) But there´s even less room for the chain that way so I thought outside works also.