What Makes A "sammy Miller" Replica Different From A Model 49

sdm

I have a 71 model 49  and it has been restored at some point. Is there a difference between a model 49 and a Sammy Miller replica or is it just the sticker on the side cover?

Or were all the early model 49s SM replicas? I see Sherpa Ts for sale claiming to be SM replicas and asking allot of money for them but how would a person be able to tell?

Any specific frame or engine #s?

Thanks

Sam

People call lots of things Sammy Miller Replicas. You could buy lots of aftermarket parts for Sherpa Ts from Sammy Miller products that were developed by Sammy Miller and used on the bikes he rode, including distinctive-looking frames

I've even seen a standard Honda TL125 advertised as a Sammy Miller replica

Each of the model 10, 27 and 49 had Sammy Miller decals on them as these were the models he developed and rode for the factory, so they could all be referred to as Miller replicas, but there was never a specific 'Miller Replica' that differed from the production models released or sold by Bultaco.

From the model 80, the Miller badge was dropped and Lampkin and Rathmel were the factory riders, whist Miller had retired from full time competition and began development of the new 325 (as far as I know)

So there is no such thing as a Miller replica from Bultaco that differed from a normal production bike, but as mentioned above, he did make a load of his own brand parts for the Bultacos, including frame kits called the Hi-boy which he used on his own bikes, so maybe what you've seen referred to as a Miller replica is a bike fitted with one of his own Hi-boy frame kits (which were always chrome plated and had alloy bash plates rather than frame tubes under the engine) Tjese won't have the usual Bultaco frame numbering, they had numbers beginning with SM.

• Like 2

My understanding was that the Model 80 was the last of the "Sammy Miller Replica" bikes from Bultaco.

The Model 80 spare parts book pages" below has "Miller Replica" decal listed as No. 37.

post-22541-0-19973700-1467585128_thumb.png

post-22541-0-65671100-1467585154_thumb.png

post-22541-0-36951900-1467585303_thumb.png

post-22541-0-50253700-1467585341_thumb.png

Edited by model80

Thanks guys... all good info and kind of what  I figured but I  never really looked in to it that far. 

Has anyone here ridden the Hi-boy framed bike and a stock factory bike side by side to be able to make a comparison?

Just curious about the handling differences...

Sam

Sam

I have done just what you ask about and can do it again when ever I want as my son owns my original Miller frame SM 2xx (325) from 1973 & also

a M49 (250) (last model frame),and to us it really comes down to they are very similar in handling, the Miller has more ground clearance but handling, 

they are very close,   both have IRC tires so you cant get a much closer comparison. 

The Miller has the shocks lower some 3 inches forward so that will change the fork angle close to a degree so I suppose that will help a bit, he rides

both bikes equally on most occasions , so I guess there isn't a significant difference in the two with the exception of ground clearance & CHROME.

Larry

• Like 1

Interesting to know Larry and thanks for the info. Nice to have a side by side comparison. I have a little longer than stock shocks on my model 49 and I think it helps the turning a bit. Imo I think the front sticks better than my Cota 247.

Thanks for the input..

Sam

• Like 1

Interesting to know Larry and thanks for the info. Nice to have a side by side comparison. I have a little longer than stock shocks on my model 49 and I think it helps the turning a bit. Imo I think the front sticks better than my Cota 247 especially in off camber turns...

Thanks for the input..

Sam