Fork Seal

guy53

I have to change the fork seal on my 03 Rev 250, the new one are arriving this week. I have looked all over the Net to find a tutorial with no success. I have done the job many times on older Yamaha, Kawasaki and other fork but not on these. I noticed that both leg are not the same. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Guy

Left side is spring side, right side is dampning rod, spring side does not matter what weight oil you use has no purpose other than spring lubrication. Dampning side does however. Make shure when you do dampning side that you wilst the rod in and out many times after you dump the oil to make shure you get all the old oil out of the rod internals. Also unless you have a nick or tear in your fork seal your just wasting money with new seals. Clean the old seal up then take the little seal spring off twist it apart and snip about an 1/8 inch off the open side not the tapered end, then twist the spring back together and put it back in the seal groove. Now you have a nice tight fork seal again without spending any money.

• 2 weeks later...

Seal job done,( thank you Lineaway for info by Sherco ) Everything seen's ok and the seals did not look old but as I saw on a TY mono the retaining clip where rusted, that ruins the seal so I cleaned the old one to be able to use the bike today and new ones are on way.