Sherco Gearbox Oil - On Off Clutch

transporter1969

Firstly, I know this topic must have been discussed before but I've read so much I'm just confused.

I'm new to trials and in fact to riding motor bikes but have recently bought an 03 Sherco 290, so I can get out with my two young lads.

My issue is that the clutch is very much on or off - very little slip or smoothness. This takes some getting used to and I find it very jerky in a tight section. What type of oil should I try to improve this? I thought I would give that a go before stripping the clutch and doing the mods I have seen elsewhere.

Other than that the clutch drags a little but doesn't seem to stick when cold (although I do ram the front wheel up against something at first start).

Sorry if this is a simple question but a simple name of oil so I can go online and order would be a great help.

Cheers all

I've got the same bike.

I use standard cheap I 10W40 oil in mine and change it every other trial.

Chances are that the clutch basket is stepped, which makes the clutch very notchy and jerky.

You can file it down to make it better, but it's only a short term fix.

10w40 oil is too thick for a Sherco gearbox.  Putoline GP10 is probably the best gearbox oil to use in a Sherco.  However, I now use ATF fluid and that works nearly as well, but is a fraction of the cost.

Also, look at the clutch thread that is pinned to the top of the Beta posts.

Edited by stpauls

Hi, been there done that, l found two things whilst fixing my same problem.

1- The clutch work as mentioned made for a clutch that was a joy to use

2- ATF made my clutch too quick. That might be like what you are experiencing now, maybe?

Cheers Taff

Try adding a washer on the end of each clutch spring post ( the part that comes through each clutch spring there are 6 springs and six posts.)

I'm trying to remember if it's either a 5 or 6mm hole and the washer should be 1-1.5mm thick.

Put the bike on its left side (if you don't want to drain the oil) remove cover, loosen and remove all six bolts holding springs, place a washer on each post install the bolts back and tourque to proper spec. Replace the cover.

This not only makes the clutch pull lighter by decreasing the clutch spring preload but makes a more progressive feel.

I also use Motul 300v 15w-50 (I'm in the desert you may want 10w-40 if you are in a cool climate)

The thicker oil makes the clutch engagement a bit smoother And this Ester based motul oil while expensive smooths out the clutch even more and helps with shifting.

If you don't want to spend the extra on the motul oil you should still try the clutch washers. Also the clutch plate mod (the filing) works very well to help with sticking etc.

the hydrulic clutches are more sensitive and have less feel then the older cable pull type.

Buy a hand/finger grip strengthener and build your index finger muscles and that will additionally help with clutch control.

Jerky clutch definitely isn't right, you should be able to control rear wheel slip through the clutch lever when your ability increases

The basket could have notches worn in it, personally it's not worth filing them out, a new basket, rivets & rubber dampers are cheap & splatshop has a article in the blog on their site about replacing them. Over time the rubber dampers go hard as well which leads to rattling when the clutch is out. I replaced the basket etc on my Jarvis & it sounds & acts like a new clutch now

It's a quick job to check the basket condition, lay the bike on it's side & remove the brake pedal & small cover then the pressure plate & clutch plates & look at where the plates make contact with the basket. There shouldn't be any noticeable grooves. When you reassemble the clutch the outer plate sits in the shallow groove in the basket between the main grooves, there is also a mark on the pressure plate & inner hub that should be lined up

ATF has the reputation of giving a very quick acting clutch due to it's thinness so maybe try a different oil if the basket looks okay

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the same issue with my 06' 290, replaced the basket (around £25 from Splat) and some whining bearings and all is good.

Using Putoline SAE 75W light gear oil.

Enjoy, great bikes.