Evo 300 4T V. Montesa 4Rt - My Take

sammyd173

I just came off an Evo 300 4T, 2015, and got a '15 Montesa 260. I thought I'd share my opinions, if you don't mind...

The Montesa feels heavier. Like you feel the weight picking the bike off the stand. Feels 10-15lbs heavier. BUT - when you ride it - you don't feel the weight. Why? The Montesa feels like it's two inches shorter in the wheelbase, specifically it feels like the front wheel is two inches further back (to me). This makes the front end feel very light. Add to this a much springier front fork, and more bottom end power, and she is a wheely-ing machine. On the Beta I was always hopping the rear end around because it was so hard for me to hop the front wheel. With this thing you just pick up the front and put it where you want.

There seems to be more weight on the rear than for the Beta, but again with the springy shock you don't really feel it in practice.

Power. The Montesa seems much more powerful than my Beta, even with 40cc's less. This must be due to the restrictive exhaust on the Beta. I've ridden a Beta with an aftermarket pipe and it blows the doors off either bike stock.

Noise. Montesa is as quiet at idle, but twice as loud on the pipe. Not good. Fortunately the Montesa has so much grunt down low and revs cleanly that you can ride it a gear high and it will pull when riding around the garden.

Suspension. I primarily bought the Montesa for the suspension. I ride in California on slate and rocks, and this suspension glides up everything. It's a big difference.

Flame out. The Montesa flamed out the first day I got her while I was trying to wheelie-hop up my driveway. As a result I literally pulled myself straight over the bars and crashed. I fuggin hate flame out, and I don't want to turn the idle up high to avoid it. I think I'm getting used to it but the Beta never had this problem.

Turning. Not sure yet. I think the Beta may have the edge. Certainly you can turn the bar's much further on the Beta.

Balance. For some reason, the Montesa is much easier to static balance on, for me.

Oil - Montesa has separate engine and tranny oil. What a PITA.

Gearing - Montesa geared too high stock. Gear spacing seems better from 3rd-4th, though.

Owners manual - Montesa has a Honda-esque manual, much better.

That's all folks.

• Like 3

What was your opinion on grip of the 2 bikes and which one was easier to get used to at first. Thats the same bikes i am choosing between except mine is the 2016 models also is do you have the standard montesa and is it just to move the back wheel around or would you have to set up the suspension to your weight. Many thanks Dw

Thanks for the write-up, as I'm in the market for a new bike. I had my heart set on a new Monty but I have nothing against Beta. 

Probably the main selling point for Montesa (for me) is Honda and their dealer network in the U.S.  Beta is a niche brand here.

I'd love to see both bikes side by side.

What was your opinion on grip of the 2 bikes and which one was easier to get used to at first. Thats the same bikes i am choosing between except mine is the 2016 models also is do you have the standard montesa and is it just to move the back wheel around or would you have to set up the suspension to your weight. Many thanks Dw

I ride on sand and rocks, no slippery stuff out here I'm afraid. I've heard the Beta grips better in the mud though but I can't comment beyond that.

The Montesa, to me, seems easier to ride. The Beta feels like it has more of hinge at the front that is a little more disconnected. Put another way, there is less guesswork on the Montesa when it comes to how far the bike should be leant over in relation to how far the 'bars are turned.

I weigh 180 lbs and I am picky about my suspension but I'm not touching anything. A buddy of mine also has the standard '15 and he is 220 and he just cranked more preload on the shock, and it still rides very well indeed. 

I would say the Montesa for me, by some way, is the better bike. I originally balked and went for the Beta because it was cheaper used, and I didn't fancy riding a bike that was essentially unchanged for years (Montesa), but it works better for me.

I am not a Mon expert but I believe the FI requires a certain idle setting to be able to generate enough power to work properly and cannot be messed with

Yes, I think this is correct. Oh, you can, but you still gotta get a few revs in it periodically to keep the capacitors charged up or the voltage that runs things will drop below critical level and the flame goes out.

I have often wondered if a small reserve battery would help this, much like the starting battery on the Ossa?

The Mont will chug, just not for extended periods by my experience, while the Beta seems to chug along nicely and the CV carb still responds near as well as the FI on the Mont.

• Like 1

This is great info. The bike tried to kill me on Sunday. I was up a ways in some rocks and popped the clutch to do a small wheelie accross a gap. Bike died and the front wheel disappeared into the gap and I went crashing down. Stock gearing is too high for that stuff for me. Fuel was boiling also so bike was probably running hot which I'm guessing didn't help. A few blips of the throttle to raise idle and charge system up will help. Not great for confidence!

This is great info. The bike tried to kill me on Sunday. I was up a ways in some rocks and popped the clutch to do a small wheelie accross a gap. Bike died and the front wheel disappeared into the gap and I went crashing down. Stock gearing is too high for that stuff for me. Fuel was boiling also so bike was probably running hot which I'm guessing didn't help. A few blips of the throttle to raise idle and charge system up will help. Not great for confidence!

Is the fuel suppose to be boiling as I have heard this before on the forums and would you recommend changing the gearing right away or try the stock gearing for a while? As I am currently looking at 2 montesa which one I am considering.

It depends on what sort of going you ride and your riding style I suppose. I got mine a year ago and found the standard too high in very rough burns and on nadgery bankings but I am not an enthusiastic clutch user. I also tend to ride too slowly at times.

Because it was easy to do I went to the 9 tooth and it was fine but such a small sprocket is a bit cruel on the chain. Come new chain time I went to 10/43 which is near enough halfway between 9 and 10 on the 41 tooth rear and have found this a good compromise.

At my second event I quizzed someone about gearing - he told me he was on the standard gearing and never used first - that certainly explained his FTD progress in the sections!

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

The 4RT's from the world cup riders seem to have a lower idle, but they regularly blip the throttle, maybe it's to keep the capacitor charged...

I also think a 10/43 gearing is a good compromise.

I'm starting to feel Beta may have the 4t edge.

No one has horror story posted, my gripe is the lack of dealers and tech support in the US. On the other hand, I can vouch for the concern that Beta USA has about having a working product and satisfied customer, which I am.