Villiers 8E Engined James

ronwright

I am preparing a1955 James in trials trim for this years Beamish Trophy Trial. I want to improve the robustness of the ignition system by doing away with the villiers ignition coil and using an external coil. I have just ordered a FS1E 6 volt AC coil. I need to know in very simple easy steps how to modify the current villiers system sso that I can use the new coil. A wiring diagram would be a great help. I have read the page in the Villiers improvement handbook but it has confused me [not difficult as elctrics are not my strong point.] I really need some expert help but in very simple terms. Can anyone help. I will watch to see what help is given and I can also be contacted via my email ron-wright@blueyonder.co.uk.

Hi Ron,

The modification that was first used to win the Scott trial on a Villiers twostroke by Arthur Shutt was relatively simple and simply involved adding the Villiers lighting coil (already in the flywheel) to the ignition circuit. Email me at Offroadrevue@gmail.com and I will give you instructions on how to do it.

I did it on all the Villiers models that I rode over the years (Dot, Greeves, Cotton and James) and the modification was standard fit on all the works Francis-Barnett bikes.

If there is sufficient demand I will publish details in our digital magazine, ORRe.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

There are plenty of old Villers engined bikes running well every weekend on mods as Deryk describes. For honest and practical help,you could give Paul Powell a call at Cotton - Villers spares,he kindly lent me his Cotton last weekend to get more fuel when my AJS ran out at the Gerry Holdstock trial.  Started first kick,which I thought was a good advert for what he does. Cheers Paul !

http://www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk/

Hi,

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of responses by email to my earlier posting, so there is an illustrated article in ORRe-44 (due out shortly, exclusively from 'tc' - select the 'ORRe' button on the home page).

Cheers

Deryk

• Like 1

Seems like the offer of some assistance now comes at a price of £12 as I will have to subscribe to the digital magazine. I hate digital mazazines and cannot read magazines off a computer. I was simply looking for help from the trials fraternity who are a pretty giving bunch of people.

• Like 1

Re the above post - see my note above yours.As a result of my post Deryk volunteered to help me and send me the info via my email which he suggested was common knowledge in the 60's. He has now changed his mind and wants to charge £12 for this info which is hardly in the spirit of volunteering to help. That is what has disappointed me. The £12 is not necessarily the issue but if I say I am going to do something I do it in good favour. Can anyone help me out ?

Edited by ronwright
  • Like 1

By way of explanation for other members, as a result of my earlier posts within an hour seven other forum members emailed to say they would be interested. The article is about a thousand words, with two diagrams and a photograph, so I decided to type it all out once and put it in issue 44 of ORRe, knowing there were likely to be other members who hadn't read the posts yet!

Hi trialsrfun,

It is already in ORRe-44, so anybody interested can get the information there - and remember my motto, Never forget, if you need facts you have to look in the right place..........

Edited by laird387

Just to show anyone interested the scope of the magazine that ron does not wish to enjoy, here is one of our archive photos of a sixteen-year-old Londoner out practising on his very new bike taken in 1954. (In the magazine we do not need the irritating watermark!)

What was a young Londoner doing near Keighley?

Well he was practising outside his Dad's engineering works in Silsden, Yorkshire, where they had moved when he was nobbut a bairn!

The beck is still there, indeed were it not for the NIMBY activities of newcomers, the youngster's son, John, would probably be tempted to nip across the beck with one of the

Beta trials models that he imported.

As his blunt father, Arthur Lampkin, seen above in his teens, has been heard to comment"You can float a dead cow down the beck, full of disease, but you mustn't ride a clean bike

through it. B----- Daft!"

Also for the sake of accuracy, the illustrated feature explaining cost effective ways of improving the Villiers ignition reliability is published in issue 44.

post-19290-0-39587800-1468737042_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

He's got a point though, Deryk, surely this forum was created to share advice and information, not act as a signpost to your e-magazine ? I subscribed for a couple of years but the format didn't suit me - I wasn't keen how it worked with my Apple stuff at home

• Like 4

Hi davetom,

I see your point of view, but the magazine was created to support the interests of the classic enthusiasts on the forum - moreover it doesn't exist outside the forum. It is solely an additional service for forum members! You might be interested to know that I have to pay exactly the same subscription as everybody else to be able to see what the magazine looks like after it has been transformed by Andy's software magic..........

PM me with details of what the problem with your Apple equipment and let us see if we can't help sort it - it shouldn't be rocket science 'cos my entire system is Apple Mac - I don't use Windows pc equipment..........

Cheers

Deryk

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1