Mk1 Amal Concentric Problem

ukmatador

The bike, 1969 MK3 Matador with the above carb. Light throttle works fine with engine stationary. once started and for about 5 minutes the slide sticks part way open which is fun. Its a 32mm choke. Would the engine induction suction cause the slide to stick until the body expands slightly due to warming up? I'm wondering if a stronger spring, if available, would eliminate the problem.  

Good point basil, never thought of that and yes it is flange mounted. As I say the throttle works fine with the engine stationary but on start up for 5 mins. or so it sticks at mid point. I'm sure I have read somewhere that  induction suction can cause problems with a tight slide. Am going to the VMCC day at Stanford Hall today so will see if a stronger spring is available, the throttle is very light. John

Assuming you have disassembled and soaked the whole body and parts in a carb cleaner overnight or more? Do you have all the parts for the slide, etc. The needle itself could be moving.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

You were dead right basil. A thin film of varnish on slide and body. Carb cleaner cured it. I'm guessing its the residue from the tank which was dry. Bike was last used in 1974! 

Next problem is to cure the sticking clutch plates when stood for a couple of days. Brilliant forum by the way. John

Try draining whatever is in the primary case, try to flush it a bit of   diesel, ect, shift into 5th gear & pull the clutch in & rock it back & forth

until the clutch plates come loose, drain the cleaner & re fill with 250 cc's of Dexron ATF , hopefully it will then work out for you.

If the above does not help then its time for a tear down on the clutch side.

The std. clutch is all metal & you may have some rust from sitting from 1974.

Good Luck

Larry

• Like 2