Fantic Section

whitehillbilly

Thanks.

Take one well running Fantic section, add new carby kit and New X71 Needle ( same as old one, clip in same slot, second up from bottom )

Now it runs like a Piece of s**t

It is very lumpy at idle, also suddenly the revs at idle will pick up.

Some of the O rings had perished and needed replacement.

Where would you start ????

the whole carby was stripped down, all jets and drill ways cleaned, then blown out with carby cleaner, before reassemble.

The mixture screw doesn't appear to change things, Screw towards the air cleaner, so strip and check idle jet I guess.

feel free to make fun of my stupidity !!!!!!  :wall:

whitehillbilly

Edited by whitehillbilly

Mine was unrideable with the delorto, got an OKO flatslide from a mate not perfect but pretty good.

Don't ask about specs as I refuse to touch it incase I upset anything.

Sorry I'm not mutch help

I had one of these new and it never fuelled right.

I had same problems with my 309, similar air leak type symptoms. Tried everything cleaning carb and checking inlet was sealed, reed valve etc couldn't find a leek. I even rebuilt the engine convinced the crank seals were letting air in as it ran lovely before sudden issues arose. Tried after rebuild and it ran the same! Bought a new carburetor that solved it. I never mess with 20+ year old carbs once they start playing up. Lucky my Section runs perfect (touch wood!) but it'll be in the old carb pile with a new one purchased if it starts messing about.

Update,

Had a play, on the section tonite before dark.

Runs really good from idle up, pulls nicely through the gears until on full throttle.

Even up an incline on full throttle, pulls nicely.

One warmed up, riding up and down a few banks at idle the lumpiness reappeared.

BUT, with choke half closed, it idled beautifully, but lost the rest of the throttle range.

So back to the shed, to check the idle system and Air Screw.

Stripped the air screw, removed the float bowl and removed the idle jet, lots of carby cleaner and air line.

when spraying  cleaner, through the Idle Air system, I could get it to go in, but didn't appear to come out anywhere inside the carby, except air screw hole or Air inlet hole at the air cleaner side.

After more cleaner and air, things started squirted up from a small hole at the front of the carby.

I think the idle Air system was blocked.

I checked the float height, but couldn't match 24mm suggested on some paperwork, I downloaded on my model  ( PHBH ) and the other original type  ( PHBL ) suggested for the Fantic section. settled for 19mm as the fork arm and carby base was parallel at this measurement.

Started reassembling, and noticed one of the 4 small idle jet holes were blocked, so again cleaner and air.

So everything back and on.

The bike started a lot better, than before, no throttle, first kick, usually needing 1/4 throttle.

Also now screwing in the Air Screw,  stalls the engine, which before, screwing it in and out had no effect on the running.

I turned the Air Screw out 1 turn to start with, and will experiment.

Will try tomorrow when motor is cold, with choke, to see how it starts.

Thanks for all the replies.

whitehillbilly

Edited by whitehillbilly
  • Like 1

Well done! The stand looks really good. You could put a slight bend in the leg tucking it up a little out of the way, save moving the spring. 

I use the same EBC brake pads in all my Fantic disc brakes and have found them really good. 

Hope all goes well tomorrow. I'm out on the 240 at the South Midland Classic Trial. It's been raining a fair bit so we'll have some mud to keep things interesting!

Good day at SQTA trial, a little warm at around 28oC

Bike ran well.

Did blow some fluid from radiator after long climb up to sections 7/8 and 9.

Think I may have overfilled and it was finding the correct level.

Did add 10/20 mils to top, just in case, as it looked more that that, that blew out.

Radiator fan went all day, no problems, so spraying Inox into it must have helped.

Stand worked a treat.

12 sections, 4 laps.

Check out my old Rossi Boots. Anyone else still riding in a pair ????

Now watching our Rugby League grand final, with a few beers.

What a great day.

Will add a pic tomorrows, as Monday is a Public holiday.

Also a pic of my mate, Jai on his 95 Beta

Whitehillbilly

post-21112-0-35238600-1475447288_thumb.jpg

post-21112-0-62360200-1475447349_thumb.jpg

Edited by whitehillbilly
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Last trial of the year for the club tomorrow.

Toss up between Greeves and Fantic.

With the temp getting up possible around the mid 30's lighter bike won out.

And Greeves gearbox bits, still to be ordered from Villiers services UK. 40 thou mainshaft play needs sorting with new parts.

Storms also forecast, so may get wet and slippery quick.

whitehillbilly

• 2 months later...

Happy 2017.

Want to replace the front fork seals on my Fantic.

Any advice or diagrams on how to do it?  Any problems or special tools pulling them apart?

Best place to get the 40mm bottom seals and wiper upper seals. Also the two lower seal retaining spring clip.

Thanks.

Edited by whitehillbilly