Tubeless Tyre Using A Tube?

petechamps

Hi, I'm going to change my rear wheel from a 19 inch to a 18 so I can run a softer compound tyre. I like the idea of a Michelin xlite. I've only found tubeless versions, do they do a tubed version? Do I just run a tube inside like a normal tubed tyre or do I need to do any modifications? It's on a Norton 500t so it quite a heavy bike.

Thanks, Pete.

Might be a good idea to use  security bolts too. Oh and if you are intending to use tubeless tyres then when you get your wheel rebuilt make sure you use a tubeless rim. Dont  know how many spokes the Norton hub uses as i am assuming you are going to use the Norton nub but most are 36 hole so best to check availability of rims to suit your hub.

Edited by old trials fanatic

I would be careful using an xlite, I have ridden a 500T for about 40 years, riding the pre 65 Scottish on one for the first time in 1986 and most years since. If you use a too softer tyre it has twoo problems due to the weight and rigid rear end, firstly too many punctures and the softer the tyre the higher the pressure required to stop punctures and secondly even then the back end will move around too much. I used the Dunlop tubed tyre ( D803 or 807) until they become unavailable and now used tubed Michelin tyres. I use IRC tubed tyres on twinshocks but they are too soft and variable to use on a rigid. 

My advise to anyone who wants to ride a rigid competitively is get good at changing rear tubes.

Edited by not ron
  • Like 1

I would be careful using an xlite, I have ridden a 500T for about 40 years, riding the pre 65 Scottish on one for the first time in 1986 and most years since. If you use a too softer tyre it has twoo problems due to the weight and rigid rear end, firstly too many punctures and the softer the tyre the higher the pressure required to stop punctures and secondly even then the back end will move around too much. I used the Dunlop tubed tyre ( D803 or 807) until they become unavailable and now used tubed Michelin tyres. I use IRC tubed tyres on twinshocks but they are too soft and variable to use on a rigid. 

My advise to anyone who wants to ride a rigid competitively is get good at changing rear tubes.

Where can you get Michelin tube type tires? I understood them to be discontinued.