Newbie Return To Trials, 4Rt Or Repsol Is There Any Positive Difference ?

si27

I have returned to trials a couple of years ago and things have moved on so much. I started back on a 2 stroke but now riding a 4rt which suits me better now I'm older.

I fancy a repsol now so any comments on difference please?

Simon

As you are, like me, older, it's perhaps unlikely you will be riding the sort of sections where the, effectively minute, differences in suspension might become evident. The different tyres you might notice depending how sensitive you are to these things.

Having ridden both standard and Repsol 260s at a test day I was not able to detect any difference; both have very plush suspension and, as far as I am aware, the same state of tune for the motor. My personal opinion is that the standard red (as was) looks a lot better than the Repsol colours but I don't look at the bike when I'm riding it so that does not really matter. I'm sure I could make use of the seat on the standard at times such as when backmarking trials involving roadwork.

No doubt others more knowledgeable (apart from the above my regular use is of an older standard 250) will be able to give more detailed advice.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

In a nut shell - which ever you like the look of best is the one to go for - if cash is not the determining factor -which for a Yorkshire man may be a strange concept.

Also depends if buying brand new or second hand at what age you considering.

Latest new repsols have better tyres out of the box but a std even with a tyre swap will be cheaper.

I have 2015 std bike but older bro wanted a Repsol purely because that's what he had always wanted.

In the sections you will not be able to tell any difference.

All the best

I disagree about the similarities, at least on my recent  'test' bikes.

Riding both a newish 260 standard 4RT and a similar 260 Repsol yesterday, both 2016 models over the same ground, I could easily tell the difference even if didn't look down.

The Showa suspension especially at the front end is a revelation, no wonder the Repsol model is more expensive. 

It made me think what actually is the technical difference between a Showa fork and say the Tech or similar?

Can anyone enlighten me?

I disagree about the similarities, at least on my recent  and#39;test' bikes.

Riding both a newish 260 standard 4RT and a similar 260 Repsol yesterday, both 2016 models over the same ground, I could easily tell the difference even if didn't look down.

The Showa suspension especially at the front end is a revelation, no wonder the Repsol model is more expensive. 

It made me think what actually is the technical difference between a Showa fork and say the Tech or similar?

Can anyone enlighten me?

The repsol would have better suspension over the cota but the cota suspension is still very good. If you do a lot of hoping the repsol would probably be the best but for more normal riding either bike will do. The repsol has some carbon fibre when new. But everyone recommends the cota over the repsol as it is better value for money. 

"My comment was based on brand new bikes not tampered with. It's possible those you rode had been adjusted to suit each owner?"

Yes, possibly, but every time a ride a Repsol I think the suspension is fantastic and I have ridden several recent ones. You must try them yourself.