How Should They Sound?

netley

Hi, Gave the Sherpa a run around today and it starts, from cold, first kick with choke on and no throttle. When warm it is wasn't so easy but didn't take long.

Here's a bit of film I took. Please ignore the style and have a listen to the engine, I was told there was an engine rumble when I bought it and It seems to take a while for the revs to slow. Is this normal? I'm completely new to these beauties so riding blind.

Any sharing of knowledge will, as usual, be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

Netley

It's very hard to make a judgement of a recorded sound.

Here's how my T350 sounded before a complete engine rebuild:

And this is after the engine rebuild:

But I went riding today, and I thought the freshly rebuilt engine has a serious rattle at a higher constant RPM. But maybe I'm just a bit paranoid :wacko:

• Like 1

Netley,The engine has a lot of idle setting, this will cause the the engine to be slow to return to a nice idle, I come from the old ways

of a dead throttle style as we never thought of using the clutch except for starting a section & stopping to get your card punched.

We cant tell by your film as to engine sounds, next time try a low idle while sitting still, clutch pulled & released, many times a noisy

engine comes from the clutch & is nothing new.

Listen to Guys tape as he has a very good sound as it is on the stand.

Larry

Edited by lbhbul
  • Like 3

Wonder what a bare head sounds like hitting the ground?   :wall:  

Thanks for the advice. After 30 years of riding motorcycles I'd have never thought of that without you pointing it out. I take it my flip flops are ok ?

Have done the testing trial. All pretty good except discovered paint from the tank getting into the carb. Any good ideas for a clean and seal?

Hey Billyt, check out the new helmet ! Can't be doing with gloves if it's not cold and not on tarmac ;)

• Like 3

I am so proud of you...............   You have brought a tear to my eye.  :icon_salut:

Halford special?   No gloves, no problem.  How about the Kevlar underwear?  

The FIM is going to be putting in some new rules about riders having to wear Kevlar underwear whilst riding a trials bike.   :hyper:

• Like 1

I am so proud of you...............   You have brought a tear to my eye.  :icon_salut:

Halford special?   No gloves, no problem.  How about the Kevlar underwear?  

The FIM is going to be putting in some new rules about riders having to wear Kevlar underwear whilst riding a trials bike.   :hyper:

Halfords? Gosh no. I can only aspire to those dizzy heights. Most of my stuff comes from the car boot sale.

Funnily enough there's a Scandinavian guy called Kev Larr there some times who sells underwear. I'll pop in and see what he's got.