Rtx 212 Std Or Four Stroke.?

bobber job

We were given an old RTX 212 trials, Its in decent overall condition been sat in a shed for years.

I got it as a summer project to keep the kids occupied and give them another bit different bike to play with compared to the sherco 125  they share now.

Got it running with a carb clean and a bit of tinkering, engine is fine clutch ok and it goes through all four :lol:  gears.

Very little info on these things on the net, some talk on here and a few pdf files and brief history on them but other than that its Russian forums and google translate for further info.

The bikes frame is chrome and cleaned up nice the plastic and fibre glass pannel work did not fair so good and the exhaust allthough basicaly all there has broken in three at the join seams and needs a few hours welding when i get time.

Now to my question proper, im undecided if to keep the minsk engine in it and repair the exhaust i can still get a few spares from minsk spares but not all and RTX cycle parts will be unobtainable im guessing, but universal or other brand stuff could be used eassy enough.

So i could run it stock, or as on a thread here i was intreagued by petedads mention of his cg 125 powered RTX, i have a similar GY200 engine generic chinese junk i agree but ubiquitous and i allready own it its in a partialy stripped china trail bike i bought for the front forks and wheel from an auction two years ago.

Parts are going to be a lot eassier to get for the Chinese 200 pushrod engine, which runs great anyway.

Undecided what to do with this bike, And if any such as petedad etc have any info they might share with me, before i start the conversion, Obvious one im thinking is the chain is on the oposite side of the frame, guessing a swap round of the wheel, but any more fabrication needed for the conversion, just asking first in case its not as straight forward as simply thinking the job through is.

Is it worth the effort on what is a Russian trials bike after all.

Hi Bobber job,

I think you've hit the nail on the head, you were "given" it.

Imho repair it as cheaply as possible in the easiest way possible. It's a terrible bike and you'll never make any money from it but if it gets your kids around a field for a bit of fun then happy days.

I've seen people go to the trouble of putting fantic engines in these but the fantic engine is worth more than the bike.

Also remember that the rtx was made in the mid 90's so not technically an authentic twinshock hence why it has no value along with poor build quality!!!!

Hi Bobber

Slightly harsh comments by "Aircooled4ever", one mans poison etc

It is more of a twinshock than all the converted monos and mega bucks british bikes etc out there!

Anyway, as an RTX owner (check "Garages"), my view of the RTX

Good points, It is a well designed trials bike to get people into trials, they are reliable, sturdy, built to budget

Bad points, a bit, to built to budget, brakes rubbish, overweight (you get your moneys worth in metal!)

I also have a Beta rev3 200cc, my results are about the same! depends on the trial, the Beta is better on really technical stuff, and turns tighter, the RTX holds a line better and has good grip (slower steering, and more weight), i take the Beta to modern trials, the RTX to classic trials

About the same cost to keep running, neither requires a great deal, just regular maintenance

I do agree with aircooled4ever, you will never make money from it, but do we do this sport for the money or the fun?

Anyway if you find your self with a spare RTX/Minsk engine, give me a bell, alway like a few spares

Hope you have fun

Whiskey

Edited by whiskey

I had a rtx 125. I bought it new in 1997 for £999. I can still remember it arriving in a van. I thought it handled better than my ty175 which it replaced. But the engine was not great. There was an odd little clutch adjuster cover cap which always use to ping off.

I would try and keep it original. If it keeps your kids interested then even better !!

Welded the exhaust up tonight, its just the front pipe flange left to weld on now, i asked earlier for a picture off any RTX owners but managed without this, so deleted the request.

The panelwork is poor, its not quite ozmosis :lol:  but needs painting underneath and the gel coat is just not coming back, i will have to spray it.