Tire Pressure

guy53

I'm just back from a ride on my 03 rev and found out it did not have the traction I wanted. The first few rides on it ( purchase recently ) where great, no traction issue, today the mountain I go was a little '' greasy '' and I did not like the feel of the bike. I know the tubless Vee Rubber on the rear is not the greatest, but I think my lack of knowledge is the first problem. I ride TS with tube type Michelin front and back at 5.5psi fr and 3.5 to 4 psi back and rear IRC at 5.5psi. I rode this morning with 5.5 front in the Dunlop and 4.5 in the Vee Rubber. By how much was I off ?

Guy

The VEE was not free but on the bike when I bought it. The plan is to replace it this winter for a Michelin as they are more common around here if I decide to keep the bike .So I will try it at 3.5psi the next ride. What about the Dunlop front, it too proved to be.. what is the word ho yea '' scary '' at time 5.5psi ok ?

Guy

The VEE was not free but on the bike when I bought it. The plan is to replace it this winter for a Michelin as they are more common around here if I decide to keep the bike .So I will try it at 3.5psi the next ride. What about the Dunlop front, it too proved to be.. what is the word ho yea '' scary '' at time 5.5psi ok ?

Guy

I've never found much grip with a Dunlop front, swap it for a Mich and run at 6psi, 4 psi back for a IRC or Mich Xlite. My Mont came with Dunlops front and rear, I ran the front for a year and swapped it for a Mich and couldn't believe how much more grip there was.

Just back from a ride this morning. Thank's to Jimmyl  that was not so bad, at 3.5 psi in the VEE it's much better but the plan to change it over the winter is still on, the front Dunlop is also better at 5psi. I checked the price of the rear Michelin vs the IRC, there is a big difference. Is the difference between the 2 in performance as big as the price diff.?

Guy

Several friends have tried the IRC rear tire to save money, I have been told the traction is OK,

one of the problems with a IRC rear tire is it will occasionally burp and go flat for no reason. Usually this happens when riding in rocks or going down a creek with rocks. You put air back in and all is OK for awhile and then Burp again and flat.

• 3 weeks later...

Got home tonight with a new rear Dunlop 803GP in the trunk off the car. The plan is not to leave it there, so, again I need advice. I never change a tubeless tire on a moto. Looking at YouTube file, they make it look easier than Harry Potter would do it with a flick of is wand. I change a lot off tube type tire, any thing I should be aware off.

Guy

Usually the hardest thing is to break the bead. Second hardest thing is to pop the bead. Use plenty of lube and best to air the tire in a safe place away from you!

PS. Let the tire sit spread in the heat using a tube or blocks for a day.

Edited by lineaway

For the new tyre, if you have a 4:00×18 tube lying around, put it in the casing of the new tyre, pump it up enough to make the tyre and bead nice and even and let it sit for a while or day in the sun, this helps make it the shape you want and makes popping out the bead much easier when you install it or use ratchet straps as many youtube videos do. I use a 20" mountain bike tube (only need about10psi in it) as my doughnut and Mr Sheen spray on furniture polish (as i was shown the first time i did this job) to make things nice and slippery at installation. Preparation is the key, and perseverance.

• Like 1

I use a small piece of 2 x 4 and 6" vice to break the bead when removing. I put the new tire in the furnace room with a front tube installed in it over night. lot's of soapy water, tie straps down the center, and lot's of air pressure.