Front Wheel Bearing Protection - Tip (?)

tcrhino

Some time ago I had to replace the wheel bearings of my KTM 990. In order to protect the bearing a Nilos-ring is used on the chain side of the wheel of the KTM. That triggered me to investigate the option to do a similar thing for the front wheel bearings of the Ossa TRi.

Yesterday I installed a new set of bearings (SKF) and two Nilos-rings (SKF 61905 AV). Fits perfectly and should give additional bearing life. 

Wil report back in a year or so ( :)

Copied from the SKF site: "Designed to keep dirt, dust, debris and other abrasive contaminants out of ball and roller bearings, all-metal NILOS-Rings help extend bearing uptime in the harshest operating environments and industries."

• Like 1

I have spacers that someone had made up. These replace the standard wheel spacers but flare out to the diameter of the bearing with a very slight shoulder to give turning clearance.

They should largely prevent water etc reaching the bearing, particularly for those washing a bike carelessly. Too early yet to tell if they actually increase bearing life.

I would have thought that the rings you mention won't make a big difference under trials conditions. No matter how fancy the rings the dirt is still going to be "forced" against the sealing edge and ultimately beyond it.

I have spacers that someone had made up. These replace the standard wheel spacers but flare out to the diameter of the bearing with a very slight shoulder to give turning clearance.

They should largely prevent water etc reaching the bearing, particularly for those washing a bike carelessly. Too early yet to tell if they actually increase bearing life.

I would have thought that the rings you mention won't make a big difference under trials conditions. No matter how fancy the rings the dirt is still going to be "forced" against the sealing edge and ultimately beyond it.

The ring should protect against dirt, but it's an experiment. 

I found a picture that might explain how a Nilos-ring works. The cavity is filed with grease. 

Nilos example.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a big washer out of thin plastic, held against the wheel with a cable tie,  that stops the hose spraying direct on the bearing seal. It doesn't make them last forever but previously on GG, Beta and now the Ossa the exposed bearing used to last about half as long as the brake side one, now they are about the same.

I presume you all pop one seal and completely fill the bearing pretty much full with waterproof grease when replacing them as well.

cheers

Richard

• 1 year later...

5 hours ago, ossatr250i said:

How are the nilos rings working out? 

Is there any modification required to install them?

thanks,

phil

Bought a new bike, but... the Ossa I had is still on its original front wheel bearings. Some weeks ago during practice I met the guy that bought my Ossa. Told him what I modified / added to the bike. The nilos rings were still in place and the bearings felt good (of course we didn't check the bearings...).