Fim Minimum Weight Limit

neils on wheels

All machines are weighed at the pre-trial inspection and having been at an inspection, I can categorically state that the Montesas are not the lightest of the bikes tested. But more to the point, ALL sports have rules and regulations, and whether you agree with some of them is never the point. The point is that when you sign up to take part, then you also agree to follow the rules. Those who only want the rules that suit themselves are looking for an obvious personal advantage and typical of the attitude of so many people in today's society.

Sure, I feel sorry for those who find they have been disqualified for breaking rules, almost certainly because they were unaware of the situation, but that doesn't make it a bad rule or one that should be broken.

The reason that there is a minimum weight is precisely to stop the wealthier organisations developing machines and materials at vast cost that would not be available to other less wealthy companies.

It's called a level playing field folks!!

All valid points Mike but unless the rule is enforced properly its pointless. If beckys bike passed, but only with a full tank then they should have a stipulation that the tank CAN be filled before weighing. Otherwise the test should be undertaken at random at any point anywhere, which would give a "true" measurement. There is nothing to stop montesa mechanics adding lead to the airbox before technical and keeping an eye out at the end in case testing re~occurs but ive never seen this extra testing but obviously it occasionally happens or becky wouldnt have been caught out?

Was there any testing at Tong apart from pre-trial?

I would think Beckies bike would be pretty much standard production weight so it makes sense to alter the minimum weight permissible.Mad if you have to add weight to make it comply with the rules.They should weigh them with a full tank at the start and also at any other time.I don't expect the bike was much lighter,certainly not enough to make a noticeable difference to her results.Riders need encouragement to compete at this level,this pettiness really doesn't help

I would think Beckies bike would be pretty much standard production weight so it makes sense to alter the minimum weight permissible.Mad if you have to add weight to make it comply with the rules.They should weigh them with a full tank at the start and also at any other time.I don't expect the bike was much lighter,certainly not enough to make a noticeable difference to her results.Riders need encouragement to compete at this level,this pettiness really doesn't help

If the same rules were applied in Belgium elsewhere then bikes we weighed during scruiteneering so a baseline was established.

They were then weighed at the end of one of the laps when they were covered in mud even so they had to weigh more than 70kg.

Surely it would be quite easy to present your bike to the scruiteneers with a reserve tank full of fuel and if it is on or over 70kg you are (almost) certain to be OK during the trial.

The rules are clear from the start, if you get it wrong no point in blaming FIM it is down to team preperation.

• Like 1

I'd suggest the opposite. Weigh the bike with an empty fuel tank, adjust minimum weight if necessary, then when a random test is carried out there is no fuel related excuse and no mechanic frantically filling the bike. In the paddock they use environmental mat so shouldn't be encouraged to fill up without one on the course ?

Edited by baldilocks

Wow, that's something I'd do... which isn't exactly high praise ;) I figured they'd tack weld some weight on a factory bike, because I can see that mess coming free pretty easily.

Although if they don't want to do that for whatever reason, I'd venture one suggestion: put all that weight inside a small plastic box, use adhesive on the bottom of the box, then zip tie the entire thing down, both length and width-wise. No chance of losing individual weights. Zip tie'ing a block of wheel weights like that makes them want to break apart.

Edited by heffergm

radical thought - make the bike out of thicker metal so it doesn't break and has some residual value after a few years of use :wall:  :wall:

There is a current post on TC about TRS fuel tanks splitting and Raga's bikes catching fire because they are so thin - draw your own conclusions

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Everywhere else in the motorcycle world, the Min weight is set up to protect the privateer from the big factories. The powers to be in trials, have decided to protect the big factory from the privateers. They have it upside down. 

For those of you who argue that this will help bike reliability, then please answer why the primary companies who initially voted in favor of the rule change, haven't made their bikes any heavier, and conversely, turn around and market weight savings to the customer on their newest bikes! Evidently, they NOW don't agree with the direction either. I guess all the potential mega sales increases from the ultra reliable bikes scared them off? 

The good news is that the factories continue to ignore this rule and give the bike buying public (the majority anyway) what they want. It's only a matter of time before this really dumb rule is changed. Can't happen soon enough IMO. for now, It's a rotten shame that a stock production motorcycle is illegal in WTC. 

• Like 2