Fim Minimum Weight Limit

neils on wheels

My guess is that ragas is lighter than Beckies, but his back up are aware of where the test is undertaken.

When the rule was introduced in france a few years back it was part of the technical pre trial inspection, up until this no ones ever been caught.

The only way to really check is a random testing regime somewhere out on the course.

What is really annoying is that it favours the full factory super lightweight Hondas, not the semi privateers.

• Like 2

All machines are weighed at the pre-trial inspection and having been at an inspection, I can categorically state that the Montesas are not the lightest of the bikes tested. But more to the point, ALL sports have rules and regulations, and whether you agree with some of them is never the point. The point is that when you sign up to take part, then you also agree to follow the rules. Those who only want the rules that suit themselves are looking for an obvious personal advantage and typical of the attitude of so many people in today's society.

Sure, I feel sorry for those who find they have been disqualified for breaking rules, almost certainly because they were unaware of the situation, but that doesn't make it a bad rule or one that should be broken.

The reason that there is a minimum weight is precisely to stop the wealthier organisations developing machines and materials at vast cost that would not be available to other less wealthy companies.

It's called a level playing field folks!!

Edited by hillary
  • Like 5

Mike, I understand the principle of the rule and am not against it per se.

However, when a standard production bike can break the minimum weight limit, surely FIM have set the weight too high.

As a 50+ rider and weighing less than 70kg myself, I personally value a light bike. I would not want to see manufacturers adding weight to comply with a rule that will never affect most of us.

• Like 1

I think the rules need a rethink. Trials can't really afford to DQ riders. Aside from showing up at an event drunk and incoherent (and maybe not even then) a minimum weight limit failed test shouldn't really result in a DQ, especially if the test is undertaken at pre-trial scrutineering. How about a "looks like your bike is underweight... go add some lead so it passes tech and come back in 10 minutes". 

The problem I see with the weight limit rule is that a standard production bike is already lighter than what the rule is.

So IF I wished to compete I would have to add weight to the bike and I could do so in locations that would actually be beneficial to my riding.

Yes, I understand the signing up to partake in a sport/event means you abide by the rules etc....

My comment is meant to be more of a "I think it should change".

Sure, keep a minimum weight, but maybe base it on production bikes.

Maybe there should be a rule that ALL participants must ride a bike that IS the exact same as a production bike or at least much closer than they are now.

If the weight limit is meant to keep manufacturers from developing bikes from exotic lightweight materials that other manufacturers don't have access to, then I think it failed.  Majority of manufacturers already produce bikes that are lighter than the weight limit right out of the box.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Of course the Honda's are above the limit who do you think lobbied for that higher limit?? The bikes have been closer to 60KG in WTC trim than 70 for years. Only Honda would have to expend money on exotic materials to meet a lower limit. As it stands Vertigo's Titanium frame bike would probably really blow the limit and it probably won't be as expensive as the more exotic Honda's

Edited by telecat

Just searched back through TC threads and the min weight limit was 70KG in 2014 - assuming it hasn't changed then 5kg to add to a standard TRS.

Be interesting to know the full story

Did they not add weight at all in which case if above is correct at 70kg min weight was never going to pass?

Did they weigh bike with full tank and not add enough -as happened to others?

Did some weight fall off ?

Did they use pound shop scales? 

Must be gutting to travel that distance and compete only for DQ