Starting ?

andyjohnson_10850

• 2 weeks later...

jetting is fine , i think ! , she runs ok . plug colour is right. rode yesterday and more often than not she started on one kick as opposed to previous rides needing 3 kicks or more , so it maybe a case of more riding =easier starting  !!

3 kicks or more 

Just picked up the 300 and yup very hard to start but do figure it to be a jetting issue. Cranked the fuel screw out 4.5 turns and life got easier but still not where it should be at yet.

Believe it has a 38 pilot in it delivered to me so will be go up in size or 2 to see where that lands me for starting. (have a 45 coming but thinks that will be too much)

This is at sea level to 1000' and about 10-15c with a 50:1 mix

Even hot starts it takes choke on to get life so pilot jet is off as delivered IMO

Curious what others are running jetting wise vs elevation vs temps and premix ratio

• Like 1

Because I have MANY 2T engines I run the same mix in everything....I am not into making special mixes. The '07 Sherco never ever complained about a 50:1 mix. Jetting is more crucial than worrying about a little extra oil in the mix IMO

100:1 jetting is going to be leaner in jets than 50:1 hence why I am changing the Pilot jet to richen things up

100:1 is actually richer not leaner "in jets" ie you are putting less petrol at 50:1 into the motor than designed but how it would equate to jet sizes as you are trying to compensate for I don't know.

Its in the wording

It takes a smaller "leaner" jet to keep things equal at 100:1 vs 50:1. Oil is thicker, so more oil you need bigger jet thus richer to keep things equal flow wise.

So a 35 pilot would be too lean but a 40 might be just right when using a 50:1 mix vs 100:1

Plus at sea level equals more air equals bigger jets thus richer vs say 5000'

As said more curious what everyone is running pilot jet wise and include oil ratio, elevation, temps, even oil type as some are thicker than others.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

On 22/09/2016 at 0:56 PM, bkrgi said:

Its in the wording

It takes a smaller "leaner" jet to keep things equal at 100:1 vs 50:1. Oil is thicker, so more oil you need bigger jet thus richer to keep things equal flow wise.

So a 35 pilot would be too lean but a 40 might be just right when using a 50:1 mix vs 100:1

Plus at sea level equals more air equals bigger jets thus richer vs say 5000'

As said more curious what everyone is running pilot jet wise and include oil ratio, elevation, temps, even oil type as some are thicker than others.

As requested: 38 pilot, two turns out on the pilot mixture screw, 90:1, 0 - 6500 feet, -10 C to 38 C, Ipone Samurai oil. Starts right up with a quick stab, no lazy kicks allowed like a Beta.