Venhill Cables

brownie001

Hi, has anybody out there had problems with Venhill cables ?

I ordered clutch, throttle and frontbrake cables for my 81 125 and 320 and have had the following problems.

The brake cables were too short and could not be fitted to the bikes any way even though the cables listed were for Marzocchi forks.

The throttle cables fit as long as you only connect one end. The inner is too short or the outer too long on both, whichever way you look at it.

The brake cable issue has been solved. Venhill changed them, no problem but now I'm trying to get the throttle cable problem solved.

The picture shows the throttle end with the carb end in place. Even when all of the adjusters are screwed right in and the cable is pulled to the max (full throttle), it can't be hooked up completely.

post-21379-0-21596900-1473241514_thumb.jpg

Maybe be the throttle cables are for the original throttles and not the modern type shown in the photo? Not an ideal solution, but you mention the throttle cables is too long. How about unwinding some of the outer cable to make the correct length?

Mmmh ... the throttle, is it a Domino trials throttle? and have you still  a Dell'Orto carb fitted?

Then the gas cable should fit very well? At least it does to my SWM 320?

To the brake cables there are to each fork (Betor or Marzocchi) two different cable mounts possible,

I have got into the habit to give Venhill the lengths of each cable the bike need and if not as standard available I take their semi finished cables to get the right length.

• Like 1

Hi Patrick, Domino 90 deg trial throttle and standard Dellorto carbs on both bikes. The cable for the 125 is nowhere near what it needs to be. They are in total ok but the sheath needs to be shortened in both cases. The right one was selected when ordered. Same with the clutch and brake cables. The clutch cables were no problem.

I have both types of cable anchors for Marzocchi forks and tried them both out, neither worked.

In the end, I ordered front brake cables for the earlier models and they fit perfectly.

Do the end of the cable fit inside the machined notch/hollow of the "connectors" screwed in the top cover of the Dell'Orto the chromed end cap of the outer cable (sleeve) should slide inside quite a bit. To some of these "connectors" the diameter is just a bit to small and you have to drill them up just a tiny bit to make them fit to the cable?

My French SWM guru told me to buy a Venhill cable for an Yamaha xt 500 when we renovated my Gunaco a year or so back. Seemed to be the mod back in the day , if that helps.  I did and it fitted like a dream. Also having a trawl around the various sites I saw that Venhill do a teflon coated inner cable, do any of the Swm buffs on here know whether one is avaliable in any form that would fit.  Patrik,  the Swm is at the doctors as we speak having further surgery on its clutch with the new mods, I will let you know how it turns out. Maybe a teflon cable may heal is recovery a little more.

OK cutting away some mm from the outer cable is of course the easiest and best way to solve the issue.

? ? ?

And cables with an inner tube of Teflon a nice to have. I haven't looked up the inner tube of the cables so far good to know will in the futur ask about inner cable tubes in Teflon.

@Metisse I press my thump that the "surgery" will improve the cluth a bit. If the cable hasn't an inner tube out of Teflon you might use Teflon based oil?

Anyway looking forward to the outcome and performance after the inner clutch lever modification.

Guys. the point is, I have two bikes, 81 is embossed on the manufacturers plate, I ordered the cables accordingly and only the clutch cables fit, the others were way, way off.

I have, in the between time, brake cables received which fit and modified the delivered throttle cables to fit.

Venhill offer a lot of cables for a lot of bikes, I don't want to try them all till I find one which fits. I want the one I order to be the one which fits according to the make, model, year and category offered online. That and only that is the point I am trying to make, nothing else.

So john.b, why should I order a cable for an 82/83 model when my bikes both have 81 on the manufacturers plate ?

Because the bikes did nt have Domino side pull throttles in 81/82. We started fitting them in 83 ish as a mod and it looks like Swm did the same. I got caught out as well a couple of months ago, I had to trim the outer cable. Next one I order will be from the later model.