Honest Time On Oil Changes

tman427

Went through the break in on the new bike and changed out the oil, filter and tranny oil after a fews hrs of about half throttle.

Lately, I have been going about 10 to 12 hrs on an oil change, full synth 10w-40. I go about 30 hrs on an oil filter change.

Draining the oil, it still looks clean after the 10 or so hrs. Does it really need to be changed that often? I mean you go thousands of miles on an oil change with a car, which travels at much higher speeds and higher rpm levels than a trials bike.

Thoughts?

Many thanks, really liking the 2016 standard. Just starting to get accustomed to its manners.

Tom

Hmm, I would view oil changes on your 4RT just like New Mexico politics - For success, do it early and often!  Line is right, clean oil changes lead to more smiles than roofing-tar oil changes.  These things only hold a mouthful of oil anyway so set yourself up for success, rather than....   :barf:

Just sayin'....

As above there's barely any oil in there but it seems to do the job.

Whilst it looks clear as it comes out, if you collect it in a transparent container then it looks much dirtier. Part of that is because you leave a quarter of the total oil in there and it immediately starts contaminating your fresh oil.