4T Or 2T

retromlc

Hi all,i've been knocking about for the last year on a TY175,which i plan tokeep and have been looking at another bike and like  Beta as i have their enduro 300.I am thinking about a 250 4T or a 250 2T. i like the idea of the mellow delivery of the 4T and i will never be more than a wobbler/novice,all my mates say 2T but i'm on the fence please share as i've seen a clean 4T and they don't come up often.

Everyone has their own opinion on what's best etc but depends what suits you. Some don't like 4 strokes.

Personally I rode 2T for a year when started then tried a beta 300 4T and loved it. For me I love the engine braking, smooth power delivery and the way it can just plod away down to almost nothing without needing to slip clutch. But it has more power than I would need if I want it.Tried a 250 4T but prefer the 300, slow action Amal throttle made it even better. Haven't had any starting problems, hot or cold.

You have to ride them differently, not constantly blipping the throttle, although you can it's better rolled on/off smoothly.

The instant sharper response of 2T makes things like double blips over bigger obstacles easier, or is it just different but I wouldn't go back to 2T unless I wanted to be hopping the the bike round,

Having said all that the 250 2T was a lovely smooth bike!

Try one first if you can and give it time to see if suits you.

• Like 1

i think i'm more of a roll on/off rider rather than trying to fire up stuff, and i like low end power that builds, i think a 4t could work,my mates on their 2t's don't have huge skills and often find the 2t 300's they ride getting away from them as the revs rise

I find 4T so controllable it's never got away from me. If the style suits you you won't look back but try get a ride on one to be sure as not everyone will take to them.

Benefitted from the slightly stiffer springs front and rear if you are over 12 st and speak to someone who has one about starting as there is a technique that helps, never had any problems with mine. The Amal slow throttle made it smoother and it swaps straight over just put the end of cable in the "other" hole on carb,next to standard cable. Makes sense when you look at it.

• Like 1

Depending on your weight you may like the 200cc 2t. I have both the 300 4t and 300 2t. I like them both, but have to say i am more competitive on the 2 stroke as i have more experience on them. All ways surprised what my 4t will hook up in. Can't really go wrong with either one.

I was looking for a 2016 Beta 200 but they are rare 2nd hand.I've decided on the 2013 250 4T the one i have seen is local and one owner from new .he's 72 and it's a Southern U.K bike. i was watching the 4t's crawl up stuff the other day without effort and i don't aspire to be a hopping/6 ft jumper,just want to play and like to be different,seeing as i have ltd experience on trials i think i'll adapt to a 4t as i won't have any preconceptions. looking forward to it,just have to wait until the broken collar bone from last weeks enduro race heals.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...