2017 300Rr

barfy

I've seen (and it's been mentioned on this forum) about the 2017 300RR, but I've not seen anything in English. Also, I've not seen anything about pre-ordering a RR, the same as I did with the standard 4RT and Race Replica (Repsol).

Is this an indication that Honda UK might not be bringing in the 300RR 2017 this year?

Honda Announces 2017 Montesa Trial Models

Cota 300RR and Cota 4RT260 benefit from Honda's competition achievements

Sep 16, 2016  - TORRANCE, Calif.

Capping off a season that saw Repsol Honda trials rider Toni Bou land an incredible 20th World Championship (10 outdoor, 10 indoor), while U.S. Montesa Honda rider Marc Freixa landed the AMA/NATC MotoTrials National Championship, American Honda announces its lineup of 2017 Montesa trials motorcycles. Between the exclusive Cota 300RR and the capable Cota 4RT260, Honda Montesa has something for trials riders of every level.

"No one is more passionate about their pastime than trials enthusiasts, so it's gratifying to continue supporting these customers in the U.S., particularly given the success Honda has enjoyed this year in international and domestic competition," said Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda.

Montesa Cota 300RR

Introduced last year, the Cota 300RR was made for competition (the "RR" suffix stands for "Race Ready") and is the production model most similar to the prototypes used by factory Honda Montesa riders. For 2017, the 300RR is even better, with new ECU mapping that improves engine response in the low and middle rpm ranges that are especially important for trials motorcycles. Another aspect that contributes to engine response is the new three-ring piston (up from two), which helps prevent leakage and improves durability. The piston is now lighter and has a flatter top, reducing vibration and making combustion more efficient at low rpm. The cylinder has also been redesigned to match the new piston, further improving engine efficiency. The chassis has also been updated, with new, suppler settings for the Tech fork, similar to those used by factory riders. Finally, the muffler is more robust with reinforced mounts, and the rear-brake pedal has been shortened to avoid impacts and allow the rider more freedom of movement.

• Color: Red
  • Price: $9,999
  • Availability: December 2016

Montesa Cota 4RT260

A cutting-edge machine that is attainable both for trials enthusiasts and those looking for a cross-training tool, the 4RT260 was first introduced to the U.S. market in 2015. Now offered in a striking new White/Blue/Red livery, the 2017 version also has the longer kick-start lever from the 300RR, making starting easier. The aesthetic changes can also be noticed on the fork, now included with a chromed tube and black leg. The 4RT260 retains the reliable 260cc four-stroke engine that was improved last year, boasting a strong power curve, with an emphasis on bottom end and midrange. A clever crankcase decompressing system reduces the engine-braking effect at closed throttle, improving handling and making the bike feel lighter. Also standard is top-level suspension, with a fork from Tech and a shock from R16V—both well known in the trials world.

• Colors: White/Blue/Red
  • Price: $7,899
  • Availability: November 2016

Click here for more information on the Honda Montesa Cota models.

• 1 month later...

According to the Honda dealer I spoke to there not doing the pre-order like they did before in the US, don't know about the UK,  where the individual orders the bike, then it's shipped to the dealer. This year it's up to the dealer to order what he thinks he can sell, then Honda decides how many and what that dealer gets. The Honda place I'm dealing with ordered one 4RT and one 300RR, he said they got approved for both of them, should be delivered to the warehouse the end of the month beginning of Nov. I'm getting the 4RT so they will have a 300RR for sale if someone not already put a deposit down on it. 

So you have to call a dealer to see who has them ordered.

As of last month there was at least one Honda dealer in my area that still had a 2016 300RR for sale.

This is the same dealer who said they also ordered a 4ride, he didn't say anything about that last time I spoke to them. I guess they didn't get it.

On a semi related note, I'm curious about others who have 300rr's or 4rts now. I rode a 300RR briefly last week... the motor seemed very abrupt off the bottom, the bars were too narrow, and the brakes were pretty mushy. The mushy brakes I suspect is just a setup/bleed issue, since they look to be the same Braktec monoblocs that are on my GG (and which are amazing). The too narrow bars is also an easy enough fix. I'm not sure about the motor though... it was just so different to what I'm used to I'm having trouble forming an opinion that isn't based entirely on just how odd it felt. I did notice there was no real engine braking, which was great.

I guess what I'm curious about is what current Montesa owners really love about the bike. My interest really boils down to two things if I'm honest: (1) it sounds like Toni Bou, so that immediately makes me 10% more amazing on the bike (maybe 20%?), and (2) it's a Honda, so I have to assume it's engineered and put together to a standard well beyond my GG (which I love to ride, but which I concede isn't as well built as I would like). I see plenty of old ones around, but only a new one every now and again (the price is a little tough to swallow). 

On a semi related note, I'm curious about others who have 300rr's or 4rts now. I rode a 300RR briefly last week... the motor seemed very abrupt off the bottom, the bars were too narrow, and the brakes were pretty mushy. The mushy brakes I suspect is just a setup/bleed issue, since they look to be the same Braktec monoblocs that are on my GG (and which are amazing). The too narrow bars is also an easy enough fix. I'm not sure about the motor though... it was just so different to what I'm used to I'm having trouble forming an opinion that isn't based entirely on just how odd it felt. I did notice there was no real engine braking, which was great.

I guess what I'm curious about is what current Montesa owners really love about the bike. My interest really boils down to two things if I'm honest: (1) it sounds like Toni Bou, so that immediately makes me 10% more amazing on the bike (maybe 20%?), and (2) it's a Honda, so I have to assume it's engineered and put together to a standard well beyond my GG (which I love to ride, but which I concede isn't as well built as I would like). I see plenty of old ones around, but only a new one every now and again (the price is a little tough to swallow). 

I would buy the cota rr no problem but only if that price tag dropped a £1000 

I've been riding my 2006 montesa repsol since it was new i took out of the box put fuel in and rode off its a great bike had to replace fenders that was my fault couldn't stay on the pegs lol I have had to replace a set of fork seals though . Great bike Im trying to buy another one i want a 2017 300RR ,they are proving to be hard to find. I checked with the guy Paul7 told me about They didnt get the 300 :-(  I did find a 2016 300 in Mississippi for $10000. im hoping to find the 2017 if anyone has a lead let me know.

Oh Paul7 your guy at dealership seems like a great guy need to get him on a bike 

Just sent you a PM

I've been riding my 2006 montesa repsol since it was new i took out of the box put fuel in and rode off its a great bike had to replace fenders that was my fault couldn't stay on the pegs lol I have had to replace a set of fork seals though . Great bike Im trying to buy another one i want a 2017 300RR ,they are proving to be hard to find. I checked with the guy Paul7 told me about They didnt get the 300 :-(  I did find a 2016 300 in Mississippi for $10000. im hoping to find the 2017 if anyone has a lead let me know.

Oh Paul7 your guy at dealership seems like a great guy need to get him on a bike