Rev 3 Rear Brake

diesel2607

I went out on my bike last night 2005 rev 3 and my back brake was binding and got very hot then lost brake altogether came home have bled brake by pumping oil in at the reservoir got a bit of a brake about 50% but only right at the bottom of the pedals travel any advice very helpful as riding this weekend

Sounds like it needs a complete service. From your post I guess you are not an experience mechanic and not familiar with brakes. Have a good read on the Beta section of TC, there is lots of good advice.

If you post your location you might be lucky and find someone local who could help.

If you hunt around like I did you may find a cheaper alternative master cylinder. I found that an Aprilia road bike (Brembo) one was the right size with holes in the right places for nearly half the price of the Beta one. £30 odd if I remember correctly

OK I have stripped the brake caliper off the bike and the pistons look like they are shot they won't move at all when I tried to pump them out could this have been caused by the brake overheating and do you think a caliper rebuild kit will solve the problems how much Is a new caliper I can't see my rear caliper anywhere

If you have the two piston caliper then your bike has the Grimeca system, 4 piston is AJP brand. Trials and tribulations do the parts needed. The Grimeca caliper pistons are not very well anodized and wear very quickly. The rear master cylinders wear quickly inside, sometimes you can get away with just the seal kit.

Phone Ian at Trials and Tribulations (google for number), He will send what you need.

OK so I have done pistons and seals got movement in the pistons and a half decent feeling brake but still not very strong can only just about lock up on wet grass when I throw my weight forward but the brake is working any further advice to get a good rear brake