Txt Pro Wheel Swap

monty_jon

My current spare wheel is originally from a sherco, it fits the later gas gas pro if you change the drive side spacer. It also fitted my 2006 scorpa using sherco spacers. I'd be surprised if it didn't fit the later 315 mont and 4rt. From all these possibilities you should be able to get a wheel

But the sprocket alignment is set by the spacer on that side of the wheel ? once the spindle is tightened up the spacer is setting the distance between the sprocket and the swinging arm. Once the sprocket is set correctly then the spacer on the other side can be adjusted either way. This is just about making a cheap wheel fit the gas gas.

Edited by baldilocks

We could have chatted about this tomorrow at Belford Baldilocks but as there is now a trial half an hour away from the house I won't be venturing south after all.

Your experience shows that the Sherco wheel can be fitted to several bikes thus answering the OP's question and you suggested, quite reasonably, that it might also fit the Montesa. The only reason I said anything was to avoid any Montesa owners obtaining a Sherco wheel then finding it was not a straightforward fit, not to hijack a thread or start a disagreement.

The guy with the Sherco wheel told me that the distance between sprocket and disc on the Sherco was 145mm; I can't confirm that distance. The same measurement on the 4RT is 140mm.

The defining factor on wheel spacing is that the caliper, which is on the right hand side of the bike, has to be hard against the swingarm in order to locate on the anchor tab, which also determines where the disc has to be. If I fitted the Sherco wheel then the sprocket would be 5mm too far to the left, which can't be sorted with spacers. The only solution would be, assuming there was enough meat to do so (there definitely won't be on the sprocket side of the hub), to machine 5mm from the face the disc sits on which probably means it won't be a cheap wheel for anyone after all.

Who knows why Montesa use a different width of hub from the others but it is a problem for owners who just want a reasonably priced spare wheel.

I hope that explains things it not being feasible to put a sketch on here.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Think I've got it now. If we forget about spacers for a moment and measured wheel bearing to wheel bearing that distance may or may not be the same. However what your trying to explain to me is that the relationship between the bearing surface and the sprocket mounting is different. It may also be different on the brake side. So if you solve that with a spacer on one side you are creating a problem on the other side.

If it's exactly 2.5mm each side then the swinging arm may be able to flex enough to accommodate it but then that's a whole different set of problems potentially. Thanks for your patience

Edited by baldilocks