Tech Forks To Beta Evo 2011

italianstallion

Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice. I've recently bought some tech forks 39mm and the relevant triple clamps to run them on my 2011 evo. I've got the forks in no problem at all but when I came to assemble the wheel I noticed that the face of the threaded portion of the left fork leg that accepts the spindle is quite a bit short of where the paioli used to sit. The same can be said for the brake caliper in that I need to stand it off the fork now to reach the disc. Is it a case of just making spacers or does anyone sell a kit? Surely this has been done before? TIA

Evoalien - because I do. Why do people buy factory versions of any particular model or any other uprated aftermarket part? I don't see how this is of any use/constructive to my question especially given that it's clear I've bought the parts at this stage. It's quite normal to want better kit last time I looked even if it doesn't make me ride any better. Anyway, I'll be sure to run it past you next time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hi italianstallion. Did you get you forks fitted yet? I have the same idea for my beta but haven't bought the parts yet. I could not figure out how exactly the wheel and axle and brake disc would cooperate. After reading your post I see You have some trouble. I have been trying to investigate what the TopTrialTeam did with their bikes but i'm not sure. Some of the bikes have custom wheels but some seem to have stock with tech fork. Could you post some pictures of the setup maybe we could figure that one out. I have not bought the parts for the mod because I was afraid that I would need to get new front wheel like from sherco or montesa, together with it's brake system. Maybe there is a possibility to jus get front wheel axle from latest sherco models, and to fabricate spacers. I really would like to see this problem solved so anyone can do the upgrade if wanted. 

Ok, so, I did get to the point where I made this work. In summary, using the stock spindle would require a large spindle spacer and would also need either the disc standing off the stock hub to reach the caliper or the brake caliper standing off the fork leg to do the same (the latter not being the best option of the two for me). I decided that this was a poor solution so went a bit further. I tried using a sherco spindle alone and found that it clamped the wheel far better but still doesn't work; you will find that when the spindle is tightened, the wheel sits considerably off centre in the direction of the disc (approx 6mm or so). In order to correct this, you will need either a new hub/wheel build or a completely new wheel suited to a tech fork. I got hold of a Jitsie one for a new Sherco (and new sherco disc as the stock disc sticks out considerably more and thus the disc bolt heads will catch the inside of the fork on rotation). Anyway, this ALMOST solved the fit issues - I found that the wheel still sat marginally off centreline. It wasn't a lot but was enough for the outside of the disc to rub on the inside of the caliper. I managed to rectify this with a custom 1.2mm spacer made from hardened steel (good fit) and then all worked perfectly. The 1mm error (in my opinion) could be down to fork pitch not being identical to the Sherco or Gasser which is ultimately controlled by the csp triple clamps I bought. Other than the clamps its a complete sherco front end so I can't see what else could influence this. Anyway, put it this way, its not a straightforward conversion, however it can be done. I'll try and post some pics in the week. Cheers

Edited by italianstallion
  • Like 1