Brake Pads Recommendation (2013 Txt Pro 250)

drca

Almost done rebuilding my 2013 250 TXT Pro and while putting the rear caliper on the swing arm I realized that the rear pads could use some freshening up.  Haven't had a look at the front ones yet, but might as well get some spares for them now even if they are still good.

So...  What's the forum wisdom on which pads to get (brand / model number Front / Rear)?  I ride in California, so think dry and dusty and very little water.

Currently the front brakes are a little "grabby" so if I could fix that at the same time that would be great.

As always, many thanks in advance for all the help.

DC

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, wanted to revive this topic because my pads are really crapped out (wail like a pig been led to slaughter when cold / wet, and weak at best when dry / warm).  I bled the brakes several time so I assume the weak brakes aren't coming from air in the brakes.

I've been looking around but I haven't been able to find the reference number for the Galfer red pads for the TXT Pro (2013 model).  Does anyone have these handy?

DC

Have you tried dragging the brakes to get them hot then spraying water on them? That often restores the bite. And it costs nothing to try.

Someone mentioned that before to me, and I can of filed that as "old wifes tales"...  Does it really work?  How hot do you get them?

100% not a wives tales! Hot enough that they give a good sizzle and steam when douched with water, but not too hot that you blue the disc. Dragging the brake for about 30-60 secs is usually about right

Dont ask me how or why it works, but it does

Edited by faussy

• 4 weeks later...

100% not a wives tales! Hot enough that they give a good sizzle and steam when douched with water, but not too hot that you blue the disc. Dragging the brake for about 30-60 secs is usually about right

Dont ask me how or why it works, but it does

Well, indeed it worked... for about 1/2 hour before the brakes went back to their poor selves!  

Rear brake is the worse, squealing that a pig been slaughtered (don't ask me how I know... but I do!), then pedal hitting the stop with little to no braking power.  I bled them, again and again with no luck.  I did take apart the caliper and reassembled everything making sure that the piston operated smoothly.  No help.

Next thing is to rebuilt the caliper and probably the master cylinder to see if that cures the problem.

Still... What pads do you guys recommend (part numbers would be great so that I can look for a source online)?

Thanks again for all the help.