Fork Springs

samwisemcg

Hi All,

I have a cub which has been set up for trials, but has been sitting for 30 years unused. I am slowly recommisioning it.

It has a pair of metal profile forks, the forks have 5 inches of travel, but when you ride it they are so stiff and heavy it feels like about an inch or two. I have stripped, cleaned and given the fresh oil, but they still feel woody. The only thing left to try is to replace the springs, but I can't find any.

Are there any companies out there who make springs to order. I need some 500m x 24mm.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam, as with any old bike part you never know what is original, repaired, or replaced with something else so firstly I would dismantle each leg checking to see that the stanchions are straight and move properly in the lower legs.

You never really know if the springs have been changed but if they are incorrect they may become coil bound preventing the full fork movement. Alberta Springs at Colchester are very helpful with one off orders.

Edited by trialsrfun

Try Gerry Minshall who runs the Kia Twinshock series.

Thanks for the help guys. I did try and contact Greeves, who now own Metal profile, but got no answer from them. Hopefully I can find some off the shelf items, if not getting some made up might be the way forward.

Thanks

Is the spindle spaced out properly?

If the spindle/fork bottoms are pinched or bushed out too far they'll tighten up and not give the right action.

Thats's not a bad idea. Try all the free stuff before chucking money at the problem.

• Like 1